Another eBay bargain: Fire Piston!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
OK, I have found another bargain, but I didn't want to put it up until I had bought one so that I could check out the quality of the fire piston. It came through today and I have been giggling at this amazing little fire making tool. It works on the same principle as a diesel engine, the air is compressed quickly which heats up so high that it ignites a piece of tinder on the end of the plunger. A fool could operate it!! :cool:

£11.65 will get you this fire piston! Now, I know it isn't made from buffalo horn, and I know it has a rubber seal on the end and a brass liner as the piston chamber, but it works perfectly and is a great introduction to fire pistons. My girls didn't quite get the technique, but they got the idea and they soon had a small fire going by using the coal and adding it to one of these.

I ordered my fire piston and the seller was fantastic. He said because the postage to Germany was so high ($10, I didn't think that was too high!) he would throw some bits and bobs in for me for free. Very generous of him, I looked forward to getting my fire piston, when it arrived I had the tin that I have already posted a link to, and some of these amazing fire bricks, they are like compressed charcloth and they light so easily. He also chucked in some cedar bark mulch to fill the tinder box tin with!!

I am mega happy with this bargain fire piston. It will get plenty of use over the next few years I hope, it also came with replacement rubber ends so that I can maintain it as I need. The bottom of the fire piston has a hole in it which I think I can fill with the tinder, but I will need to make a bung for it. That shouldn't be a problem though.

Obviously, if you wanted a high end traditional style fire piston, this isn't for you. There isn't a gasket string to wind on, and the bore is made from a piece of brass tube, but the effect is still the same. My kids thought it was magic!!! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just wait till you try it!! You'll grin from ear to ear, and if your missus sees you using it, she will look at you and shake her head dissaprovingly. They just don't understand mans attraction to fire!! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I should start asking these eBayers for commission!!!!!!!

If I find any more bargains, I'll give you all a shout, but if I don't order the kit myself I don't like to post the link in case it turns out to be crap kit. :rolleyes:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Ahhhh - don't think there are any left to buy now :lmao:

Phil.

Try checking out the sellers other items, I just did and opted for one of the mega fire pistons he was selling.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
spamel said:
I should start asking these eBayers for commission!!!!!!!

If I find any more bargains, I'll give you all a shout, but if I don't order the kit myself I don't like to post the link in case it turns out to be crap kit. :rolleyes:

Oh my poor bank account - keep your good finds to your self............... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE