Another dumb one

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is for anyone in the Rossendale Valley.

Does anyone know where I can piick (or dig) up a 18th or early 19th century brick or parts there of?

I want to make my own metal polish and after about 1850 they made them in a different way so ain't suitable for grinding up into a fine powder.

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
try asking your local arcitectual salvge, they probably have odd ones or brokens that are no use

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
I finally past a salvage yard and popped in. Lots of very nice stone, no wood and a few types of brick. The earliest stuff he had was hand made but larger than I was expecting at 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 and 3/4 inches (well just over all of those) and he couldn't give me a date on them.

Anyroad he kindly gave me one (to buy they are only 50p a pop but the thought was generous)

brick01.jpg

Anyone any good at dating such things? The sites I found gave me no joy. I assume its from somewhere local to me in East Lancashire...

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No good at dating but if you slide past my place sometime, fill yer boots - its all 18thC brick :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Its all 2 foot thick bl**dy stone here, sniff!

If I do pass remind me to bring a bag as you don't half get funny looks when you walk a mile or so with a brick in your hand.

or it could have just been the mutton chops I had shaved in on Saturday....

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've just stumbled on a excellent guide to bricks

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...BwQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=dating bricks&f=false

especially from page 59 onwards.

From what I've read the brick is most likely mid to late 18th C so now I have established its likely suitability I am going to beat the cr*p out of it with a old lump hammer then going to grind and sift it into a fine powder. I think I better pick up a charity shop mortar and pestle rather than face the wrath of herself.

All this to avoid buying Brasso (Ok and give a authentic period finish but what the hell!)

ATB

Tom

PS It would seem that Bridgewater is the best place for the right sort of brick...

http://www.bridgwatersomerset.info/history_7_bath_brick.php

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE