Another bushcraft jacket thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Glad I'm not the only one!!

Just been out in mine again for a brisk half hour walk with the dogs in a howling gale and quite rainy.

Was wearing a cheapo Aldi merino vest and cotton tee shirt underneath, and was totally warm and dry when I got back.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
On the strength of your respective recommendations I've just ordered one as I've been looking for lightweight packable in non camo for a while.

Cheers

K

Baldman Jump

Aug 10, 2015
Fleet
Good to see such positivity on the Bergans - i put a request in to Santa last week for one :)

(Unfortunaty, the non-outdoorsy mrs keeps telling Santa i need 'normal' clothes...i hope to God he doesn't listen to her)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
TKmaxx are doing sprayway waterproofs cheap at the moment, cant hurt to look and see what else they have. It'll be cut & fit much better than any surplus gear.

Tonyuk

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Hello!

I know this has been done to death but I'm really struggling choosing a jacket.

I'm looking for something for bumming about the woods, nothing too technical or expensive.

Main criteria then:

1.)Budget, under £200, preferably new.
2.)Robust with regards to bushes and fire
3.)Waterproof, rather than warm.

My thoughts were either:

1.)Army surplus - MTP MVP Jacket & Smock over the top, MTP MVP Smock (Both options seem hard to come by on surplus websites?) or
2.)Wax jacket ie Barbour or similar (compromise on no 3, I know! Venture seems over budget)

Need some food for thought, what do you wear and why?!

Cheers

For bumming around the woods at this time of year there's no one stop shot really. Occasional showers; waxed jacket or similar robust shell, for rain; oilskin jacket. If I could only have one, I'd take a heavy-ish weight oilskin jacket.

Choice would be different at different times of the year.

Why an oilskin? it's windproof and totally waterproof, very hard wearing, can be used as a ground sheet for sitting when it isn't raining, can be turned inside out and held in front of a fire to dry off any condensation (not too close, but much closer than you'd get away with with nylon or polyester etc. if your hand can take it so can a reasonable weight oilskin), when it's punctured it can be repaired with a patch and a puncture repair kit or a patch and plumbers glue. Relative low cost (HH highliner is around £60-£70inc VAT and can be had in green, but more than possible to get a green set of unbranded (happy farmers) for sub£30 from an agricultural supplies shop), scores high on the wet country cred ratings, can be worn as a cape for max ventilation and if it's really pouring remain comfortable, even if a little sweaty, while all others are soaked to the skin.

Downsides, it can get a bit sweaty if you're exercising heavily for extended periods, scores poorly on fashion cred ratings where having fancy gear is more important than practicality.

:p

Edit; if you are fashion conscious and thinking about oilskins, [URL="http://www.guycotten.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=32_59_70"]the guy-cotten rosbras jacket[/URL] comes in green too but around £20 more than the HH Highliner, although it is a better jacket so an extra £20 would be well spent.

Last edited:

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Main criteria then:

1.)Budget, under £200, preferably new.
2.)Robust with regards to bushes and fire
3.)Waterproof, rather than warm.

Most Work "Utility & Safety Jackets" will work, new model fire-resistant and waterproof, and under £50.
Sure you can spend more, for tactical or special "bushcraft jackets".

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Result, and satisfaction guaranteed, you will be blown away by it's windproof ability (pun intended) and warmth to weight ratio.

Well it does what it says on the tin as a further field test in heavy rain this morning confirmed but I do wish it was a little darker in tone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE