Another bushcraft jacket thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
Hello!

I know this has been done to death but I'm really struggling choosing a jacket.

I'm looking for something for bumming about the woods, nothing too technical or expensive.

Main criteria then:

1.)Budget, under £200, preferably new.
2.)Robust with regards to bushes and fire
3.)Waterproof, rather than warm.

My thoughts were either:

1.)Army surplus - MTP MVP Jacket & Smock over the top, MTP MVP Smock (Both options seem hard to come by on surplus websites?) or
2.)Wax jacket ie Barbour or similar (compromise on no 3, I know! Venture seems over budget)

Need some food for thought, what do you wear and why?!

Cheers

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Forget a 'perfect' do-all jacket and go down the layering route.

I have a wardrobe crammed to bursting point with jackets and the last time I could have been found in the woods wearing one is Jan/Feb last year and even then it was more a case of "I must use this new Cabelas' wool Outfitters jacket".

Why not spend £200 on one or two nice bushcraft compliant shirt/jacks as in a Swani Ranger and/or a Bison Bushcraft shirt and marry with a Paramo Mountain Vent Pull-On if you can still find the latter in the moss offering?

Just a suggestion

K

daffy

Sep 2, 2015
I am from the earth
I think you may be right Klenchblaize, I have far too many garments that just haven't had there use.

I've a mint two dogs bush shirt which, although lovely, has never been worn! It'll be headed for the classifieds section when Ive time.

I have a swanni which I wear a lot and I think a paramo or something similar over the top might just do the trick however I read they aren't too robust for bush bashing?

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I can only recommend the very garments Paramo have just dropped from their line and worn beneath a Swani rather than over.

The Velez would be fine for a walk in the woods but I wouldn't want to go deerstalking in it. How it will perform around camp of a fire I don't know but others may.

K

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Yes, I all but live in one of the four Paramo Mountain Pull-On reversible midlayers they have recently stopped producing.

I won't comment or slag-off something I have no experience of but the material of the Velez simply looks easily torn.

I may be wrong.

If you can still find a Mountain Pull-On in Moss, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

K

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Yes, they do - or rather did - call it a baselayer but I've never worn one without either a 'T' or merino vest under it.

K

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
GS workware in Grays Essex have just had their own range of jackets made. They are almost identical copies of the current British Army PCS jackets, they do them in OG, black and various camos. They are about £65 for standard ones and £99 for Goretex lined ones.
I have a standard black one and am really impressed with the quality.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Sorry Daffy, I didn't realise you were a Highlander. That puts things in a completely different light and mindful whatever you go for it will require the prior approval of Nicola Sturgeon.

I'll get my coat!

Cheers

K

N

Nomad

Hoggs of Fife do an non-insulated wax jacket in the traditional style...

http://www.hoggs.co.uk/prodcut_details.php?catid=69&product_id=128#

Can be had for under 40 quid from several suppliers. Probably not the sort of thing for expeditions in storms, but fine for bumming around and general bimbles. Cheap enough to not worry too much if it gets damaged (easy to patch, and cheap to replace). I've got one and I like it. Smells funny, and will hopefully smell funny and look scabby in a few years. I run quite warm if I'm moving at all, and I find this fine. The lining will give a little insulation, but it's noticeably less than the padded types (got one of those as well - too warm for me). Has a chunky plastic zip rather than a chunky brass one.

Their waxed overtrousers are also pretty good...

http://www.hoggs.co.uk/prodcut_details.php?catid=69&product_id=129

Under 30 quid with a bit of shopping around. Would be nice to have a fly and either pockets or openings to reach the pockets in trousers underneath. They're lined 100% with polyester or nylon, so slide on easily (and no 'drag' at the knees when raising a leg).

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My main recommendation is, regardless of the jacket you buy, get one that feels comfortable, one that has the types of pockets you would prefer, the types of closures you would prefer, and fits properly around the head, neck and wrists.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Look no further.
I was sceptical about buying this because it is of a single layer cotton structure called EVENT, but i have been wearing it in all weather's recently, including the really grim stuff, and it is truly an exceptional garment, and we'll under your budget.
Lightweight, waterproof, and extremely windproof and breathable, highly recommended.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...hshkC5sXcsn5LmCkh9sF0BWtDf_pR6s_HaxoC8cnw_wcB

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Look no further.
I was sceptical about buying this because it is of a single layer cotton structure called EVENT, but i have been wearing it in all weather's recently, including the really grim stuff, and it is truly an exceptional garment, and we'll under your budget.
Lightweight, waterproof, and extremely windproof and breathable, highly recommended.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...hshkC5sXcsn5LmCkh9sF0BWtDf_pR6s_HaxoC8cnw_wcB

Seconded.......This is beyond doubt the best smock I've ever worn, a little expensive on the face of it but worth every penny. Two years into mine and you'll have to prise it from my cold dead mitts to get it from me!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE