Animals You would like to see in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Bam

I know, but not in Western Europe. I don't know if they ever were in Norway, but I would welcome them anyway. Norway and Sweden are two of the very few places in western Europe where there would still be room.

Torjus Gaaren

leon-1

I have seen Bison in Canada, but unfortunately the only time I have seen them in the UK is at the Wilderness Gathering:eek:.

I have been rather lucky to have seen a lot of animals in the wild including Orca's, Cheetah, Giraffe, Jackals, Fur Seals, Elephant seals, penguins (Chinstrap, Gentoo and King), Elephant, Warthog, Elk, Moose, Reindeer, Wolves, Bear and many others, but the wolverine seems to have eluded me.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My wife and I came upon a wolverine as we were treking on an abandoned rail line as it was feeding on a carcass on the side of a hill. I started to get closer to it till sensability prevailed and I kept a respectful distance they do get irritated when they are close pressed (geezz what am I saying we are born irritated) It was agood day. CG :yo:

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Carcajou Garou said:
Slightly off topic but some First Nations in North America do in fact have verbaly transmitted stories of activly hunting mammoth as late as the 1900 century. The stories passed down are very exact and correct in every aspect of tactics, anatomy, skinning, butchering, use of, cooking etc... These stories vary slightly from regional tribe location in as far as the exact method of the culling (using a jump, using an enclosure etc... but they do follow known hunting methods recorded by paleo scientists. This from non formaly (university) trained peoples. Pretty wicked huh? CG :yo:

The the "Corps of Discovery," otherwise known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition set off to traverse the newly purchased Louisiana Territory, they fully expected to see mammoths and went equipped to deal with them. At least, so I understand. I can't be sure how serious they took such stories they had heard from the Indians but there was no particular reason to doubt them, either. President Jefferson was terribly interested in such things and was doubtless very disappointed when none were found.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
Seen golden eagles quite a few times(once about 12 miles from Glasgow),sea eagles about ten feet above my head-its like a small glider going over.Otters on Skye and Glasgow,most uk deer species apart from muntac.Dolphins in the north sea.And most fasinating of all a possible Wildcat in Glasgow.This was in the grounds of a large hospital with lots of overgrown woodlands and a large population of feral cats-dunno if thats significant-do they 'breed down 'as pigs do?Anyway it had wildcat markings,was bigger than any feral/domestic cats and had a large skull.I got a good idea of its size by comparing to the bench it stood by and have seen stuffed ones .It showed no fear of me ,wish I could say the same of it.... anyhoo I claim it as a scottish wildcat.
My main wish is to see grizzily bears in Alaska or the wolf free in Scotland.never seen any snakes anywhere tho .

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
ronsos said:
Seen golden eagles quite a few times(once about 12 miles from Glasgow),sea eagles about ten feet above my head-its like a small glider going over.Otters on Skye and Glasgow,most uk deer species apart from muntac.Dolphins in the north sea.And most fasinating of all a possible Wildcat in Glasgow.This was in the grounds of a large hospital with lots of overgrown woodlands and a large population of feral cats-dunno if thats significant-do they 'breed down 'as pigs do?Anyway it had wildcat markings,was bigger than any feral/domestic cats and had a large skull.I got a good idea of its size by comparing to the bench it stood by and have seen stuffed ones .It showed no fear of me ,wish I could say the same of it.... anyhoo I claim it as a scottish wildcat.
My main wish is to see grizzily bears in Alaska or the wolf free in Scotland.never seen any snakes anywhere tho .
I watched a programme about the wildcat and saw one at a wildlife park in scotland(really qualified,huh?) and I beleive the eyes or the marking around the eyes is the giveaway
Even where there are wildcats they are interbreeding with feral cats so there are very very few "proper" wildcats left.

I think I would like to see the thylacine(tasmanian tiger) there are rumours a couple may be surviving somewhere, I just like the idea we get a second chance to maybe get it right with creatures we have wiped out in the past due to (mainly) ignorance.

I suppose another animal I would like to see would be the platypus , just because it is a mad creature! Do they really exist or are they all bits sewn together and CGI?

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
I wouldn't need to travel far to see the animal I would most like to see in the wild at the moment.I've seen signs of otters just 1/2 mile from my house.I've found tracks & spraints under a road bridge by the local river & some neighbours have found half eaten carp left by their small lake about 1/4 mile from the river.I guess its probably going to be a case of 'right time,right place' to see these elusive creatures! I've had excellent views of otters before in Scotland & spent about 1/2 hour watching an otter foraging in the sea less than 20yds away on Harris last summer.Its just the lowland otters that seem to be eluding me. :(

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd dearly love to see a wild cat, next up would be a mountain lion.
A pine marten would be nice too.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Wolves in the wild for me too, but also polar bears, and in this country I'd love to see an Osprey plucking a fish from the water. I've never seen an Osprey but to see one catching a fish would be awesome :rolleyes:

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
A Wolf pack, without a shadow of a doubt.

Jim and Jaime Dutcher spent six years in a tented camp in the wilderness of Idaho, living with the Sawtooth pack, listening to them and earning their trust. Other than seeing the Earth from Space I can't imagine anything (potentially yet to do) more wonderful than an experience like that.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE