Animal tracks Books

Feb 12, 2009
Hi all,
Has anyone got any recommendations for Animal track Identification books and Edible plant identification, something which will allow me to further my skills with Identifying animal and edible plants and Fungi.

Thanks

JB

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
a good book for simple identification of any native plant/animal etc in the uk is collins british wildlife, i also have a similair book somewhere called "the book of british wildlife" or something similair. not very in depth but you would be hard pushed to find anything in this country not included in the book.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'll second the Bang and Dahlstrom one (the one made to look like RM had anything to do with it!). It's a nicely presented book with good background info and reasonable pictures to go by. There are some editing errors in my edition, nothing too major though.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
I got the Bang and Dahlstrom book for Christmas, first read on the subject very informative and easy to follow.I also have Mushrooms by Roger Phillips, which I gather is one of the best, excellent detailed photographs, I believe there ia an edible plants book by the same author.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
For tracking definitely the Bang and Dahlstrom book is excellent. There is also a Hamlyn guide (Animals: Tracks, trails and signs) which is great and often found in bargain bookshops really cheaply. I also sometimes use the Collins guide to mammals which has info on tracks, gait, scat and all sorts. Is a bit fiddly as a field guide to take out with you though. Also for general tracking information Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and tracking is really good.

Those are the main ones that I keep coming back to and would recommend, there are some really bad books out there as well, so at least if you stick with these to start with you won't be wasting your money. Hope that helps :D

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hamlin Animals tracks,trails and signs by Brown,Lawrence and Pope, a great wee field guide never leave home with out it.
Food for free by Richard Mabey.
mushrooms by Tomas Laessoe another great wee field guide .
mushrooms by Roger Phillips the No1 reference book.
When out picking mushrooms i use the TL book but when i get home cross ref with RP.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
food for free (collins gem)
and one of those fold out cards with life size track prints on them
just rediscovered mine today..

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a copy of the Bang and Dahlstrom Animals Tracks and Signs (pre Mears version and as far as I know he only wrote an introduction to it anyway) book and its brilliant, very informative and interesting.

Worth every penny.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE