animal names

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
was reminded of this by a thread on BB

many animals have other names in local dialects

just wondered if we could post some here for fun

a couple of my favourites from scotland

i guess spellings will differ as many of them are country names and never intended to be written down so please dont argue toooooooooo much :roll:

fussoch ......... a stoat / weasel / marten

puddock..........a frog or toad

Tant

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Here are some in Cherokee (Tsa la gi)

Wolf (Wah ya)
Turkey (gu na)
Toad (Wa lo si)
Squirrel (sa lo li)

Spoon (a di to di) :wave:

Snake (e na da)
Skunk (di li)
Sheep (ah we)
Rabbit (giis do)
Pigeon (wo ye)
Panther (cla da chi)

Ju huhn clu, no gwi si (North Star) :super:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
LGB, or, Little Grey Bird which covered 98% of my observations with a group of birdwatchers one day. A fun book (OOP) is AN EXALTATION OF LARKS. This book lists all the group terms, source and meaning for various animals and some whimsical ones made up for people. IE A murder of crows, pride of Lions etc.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
ChrisKavanaugh said:
LGB, or, Little Grey Bird which covered 98% of my observations with a group of birdwatchers one day. A fun book (OOP) is AN EXALTATION OF LARKS. This book lists all the group terms, source and meaning for various animals and some whimsical ones made up for people. IE A murder of crows, pride of Lions etc.

chris, you could be just the man i'm looking for, i was having a conversation years ago about collective names of various animals (we were slightly under the influence at the time!) and everyone was wondering what a group of hedgehogs is called, don't ask me why, it just made sense at the time! could you check your book and end years of misery for me please!?!?

thanks

(slightly insane) stuart

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
thanks hootchi and others

i guess i was more interested in names of animals in "english" dialects

often they give all sorts of clues

like raynard for a fox ( french for fox is renard and foxhunting came over from that direction ish)

many old farms and big houses up here have "doocot" attached to them this was a building , this was originally a dovecot or roosting place for doves and pigeons, and they would be periodically checked for young birds for the dinner table

just wondered if we could compile a list of common names

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE