Animal Fur

Couldnt really search on fur on here, the word is too short. Also mods, if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it. :)

I have been looking at making a snow smock (see other thread) and was wondering a few things about making ruff.

- is there any source other than ebay/boot sales/charity shops that sell fox pelts in the UK at a reasonable price and at a length long enough for a hood ruff? The ones on ebay are either vintage pelts or part of some fashion thing, like a £1300 rug. :eek:

- what are the laws about buying and or importing furs from outside the UK? Fur such as coyote? I understand that fur farming was banned here in the early 2000s and that it is not popular amongst certain people.

- are alternatives any good? If not why not?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can get rabbit skins from shops that suppy gundog trainers ...our Army Surplus shop often has them for about £5

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you are willing to do the work, any Gamekeepr will probably supply as many untanned skins as you want PB. The chap where we used to live used to do for a couple of Charlies a week on average. Just dug a hole and slung them in since there is no market for fur now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

No - our shop sells plain rabbit skins - beautifully finished - for you to wrap your own dummies.
I used one to make a lid for a foraging bag - beautifully soft and fluffy!
If you can get raw skins try preparing them following Toddys method (I am sure she will give details if you ask) using fabric softener and a washing machine - the Non-plus -lazier method!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Are you for real Red, such beautiful material just dumped into a ditch, what a waste.
the second I will be able to import a good number of skins, I will do some looking around to save some of these beautiful skins.
What a waste
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Naturally for a ruff, the longer hair the better the result is. Wolverine followed by wolf would be ideal but hard and expensive to purchase (from Canada, Scandinavia, Finland or Russia). Tanned red fox pelts are commonly available in Finland for around £20-30 each directly from the hunters. Raccoon dog will fetch about the same price. If you can, buy only the tail since it is usually large enough and has longer hair than the rest of the body.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
if you want a fox skin or multiple skins i can give you all you need but you will need to cure them its not difficult there are various methods of curing either buy a mix to just add or you could do a deisel and bicarb of soda mix its cheap and easy to do no smell as the bicarb nuetralises it atb wayne

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Your for real Red, such beautiful material just dumped into a ditch, what a waste.
the second I will be able to import a good number of skins, I will do some looking around to save some of these beautiful skins.
What a waste
Yours sincerely Ruud

Its true of most hunting - whether for pest control or sport - most deer skins and rabbit skins get slung as well - most people don't have the time or inclination to tan them - they just want rid of the pest. The rabbits are often eaten of course.
Its true of most things though - large amounts of farmed animal skins (sheepskin, cow hide etc.) also does not get tanned

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE