Android Navigation App - Locus - On sale and now includes Ordinance survey maps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro

Ive been using for years, its marvelous, on road and off country navigation

its half price till end of december

announced yesterday, you can now buy downloadable offline OS maps in both scales to go with it, and of coarse you can use online maps as well for a huge range of sources. i normally use google sat view, bing maps ordinance survey, and you cal also download all of uk in vector format so it only takes up a few hundred mb.

and seeing as you can get android phones for £20 these days, makes a good alternative to standalone gps

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
also there are many addons, geocaching, augmented reality, and offline road route planning using the brouter app
live tracking is also available

Also everyone going out in to the countryside should look at android app called trusted contacts released recently, its very good for locating or keeping an eye on where someone is,

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
Thanks for the recommendation. Been looking for a good OS Map app for a while. Just downloaded it and bought a couple of maps and it looks good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
I've ben using viewranger on a nexus 7. Excellent, but maps are pricey, though you can just buy the bits you need. Full os mapping -Top quality.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've ben using viewranger on a nexus 7. Excellent, but maps are pricey, though you can just buy the bits you need. Full os mapping -Top quality.

The Maverick and Backcountry Navigator apps give you free access to OS 1:25k and 1:50k mapping for the whole of the UK, and have free versions of the app for download. I've not tried Locus, so can't compare functionality ect.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
you can get free access to OS maps using the maptweak addon

locus has access to loads of different mapping systems around the world, i like the vector maps as whole of uk can be stored on phone and only takes up 500mb
OS maps are larger as raster format

ive used maverick briefly and locus has far more features
there is free version as well but doesnt have the more advanced features

the live tracking, navigation, guiding, point database, map overlays, weather, altitude, loads of great features, huge active community around locus as well

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
I've loaded it onto my android phone,really good.Used it on Bodmin Moor at the weekend and it pinpointed my position exactly.Well chuffed,thanks for the heads up Neoaliphant.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Has anyone used both this and ViewRanger? If so, how do they compare? I've quite a map investment sunk into ViewRanger so I'm unlikely to switch, but I am curious.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
viewranger has lots of features, to be honest if you have invested I wouldnt change, viewranger has many similar features to locus, viewrangers androidwear is much better, they both have AR and buddybeacon, viewranger has an online version as well.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Looking further the map selection in locus seems a lot better than viewranger, but the viewranger can sync between devices and has an online access which is a huge bonus.

UPDATE

ok, ive just downloaded viewranger again, it mainly seems to be about the social aspect of sharing or accessing maps and tracks stored online, there doesnt seem to be a vector offline map available and very limited online maps, the buddybeacon is good, although locus have just added there as a beta feature.

Im definitely staying with locus.....

The main advantage with viewranger is definitely the online syncing of maps and tracks and the ios version as well.

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
For those who just want a location, OS locate is an excellent free app giving lat and long or grid refs, very accurate, and it can also turn your phone into a Silva type compass, which is just really cool !

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Ive changed back from Locus to viewranger, mostly because the online syncing of tracks and routes is so usefull, and being able to find other routes that other people have created.
recently the Buddybeacon and skyline AR features have been made premium. For which you need a £3.99 a year subscription. You also get access to the recent flyover feature where you get a 3d google earth type simulation of a track or route showing how it will look in 3d terrain which is an outstanding and unique feature. for £24.99 a year you get full access to all the OS maps and also gets you all the premium features. Or you can buy individual OS maps.I,ve been in touch with viewranger team and have secured a coupon code for us, BushcraftUK20 which can be used at http://shop.viewranger.com for buying maps, credit or subscriptions etc.

Reactions: bopdude

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE