And my 6th knife....

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
the blade was made for me by a friend in brass using just a hacksaw and file...lots of sentimental value to me....thought i'd try using wood like this for first time...as in having lots of pits and blemishes...i can see why stabilised wood has its good points....however of course it becomes a block of resin as opposed to natural wood so i guess its good either way...was worried about it breaking up whilst working on it as various cracks etc become apparent as work progressed but i've filled them all with glue mixed with the woods dust (thanks to perrari for his guidance!!)...the scales were given to me fre by a guy i recently bought loads from...i'm guessing theyre wych elm burr or similar...he didnt say and i forgot to ask....i dont really care, theyre nice so i'm happy. tips, advice and criticism wanted as always please...not quite finished, waiting for oils to arrive in post but as i was photographing the firesteels i thought i'd do this too...

BRASS1LOW.jpg

BRASS3LOW.jpg

BRASS2LOW.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
hmmmmmmmm brass,......

might have a go me self ....

ant got time to play in the forge anymore and this seems like a nice way to upkeep the skills,

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....many thanks for the compliments....richardw made the blade and of course i wanted to do his efforts justice but at the same time i didnt want to mess it up...was nervy about working with what couldve been treacherous bits of wood....was a big relief when i finally put the files down and knew it was at least all strong and together.

yup raikey really nice stuff to work with....richard tells me that its also possible to get brass in various hardenesses and that this is medium....i might get some of the harder stuff for future use (maybe hillbill or perrari could clue me up on the technicalities?....ps richard tells me he's out of gold p so maybe you could do one for me? lol!)

thanks again....spalted beech or african blackwood next i think....

a

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE