ancient roman army knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It even has a tool to get boy scouticus' out for horses hooves! I'm impressed.

BTW didn't the Romans just steal everything from the colonies they took over, all their truly great ideas came from other civilisations. They were keen on the Greeks IIRC the wealthy hired Greek scholars to teach their kids. The langua franca (the language spoken by romans when there was no common language) was Greek.

I'm sure when you look into the Roman civilisation closely and without the PR that they gave out in their published writings and the bias from historians over the centuries you will find them to be a very harsh and uncaring civilisation whose inventions and advances were probably just a slight development on others work. Perhaps it was not the vacuum caused by the Romans leaving that created the Dark Ages but the fact that they took away a lot of the culture that was probably their in the first place and created Romano Britain.

Sorry, rant over. I'm not a big fan of the Romans. I wonder how things ould have been if say the Carthagians had completely annihilated them. Would we be a better place if the Romans had remained a small grouping in and around a small city of Rome? Still, I like that Swiss knife. I'm always in need of a tool to get people out of my hooves.

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
BTW didn't the Romans just steal everything from the colonies they took over, all their truly great ideas came from other civilisations. They were keen on the Greeks IIRC the wealthy hired Greek scholars to teach their kids. The langua franca (the language spoken by romans when there was no common language) was Greek.

Don't all empires do just that, steal from their colonies? Look at the history of the British empire. You just come up with a reason to take over their land (Godless heathens etc etc), claim you did it for God, subjugate the local populace and then start the real business of relocating resources back home. In modern times you claim they have WMD and do the same thing.

With regard to language, the Romans spoke Latin, not Greek. The common man would have spoken Latinum vulgaris and the higher echelons of society classical latin. Certainly they were influenced by the Greeks in term of philosophy, architecture, etc, but as for getting Greek scholars to teach their children, I don't know if that would have been done.

Anyway, like the knife, whatever about the Romans.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE