An interrupted wander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I'm in Greece at the moment visiting my daughter and the grandkids. Wednesday was a lovely day so I decided to attempt to walk to a deserted beach which you can really only get to by boat or an 8km walk along the coast following the goat tracks.

An hour in I came across Vassilli the Goatherd and his Son. Thinking I may glean insider Goatherd knowledge of the ways of Greek Goatherder Bushcraft I was tempted into his
shack with the promise of coffee.

I left two hours later without gleaning any Greek bushcraft knowledge having consumed a litre of his most potent homemade wine.

9ejybahy.jpg

In an attempt to sober up I decided to go for a swim.

6a4ybuqa.jpg

I never did get to the beach and it took me three hours to walk (stagger) back!

However, I met a new friend and had a great conversation. Without knowing it Vassilli taught me an awful about the subtleties of the island life for which I will always be grateful.

I try to take a lesson from each day and this day I learnt sometimes it's great when your best laid plans are thrown out the window and take an unexpected turn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Brilliant.

I have walked around the coast of several of the larger Greek islands and can report that Gaudette's experience is not uncommon. Some of these folk don't see anyone other than the occasional relative for much of the year and are glad of the company.

:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a really great little story - a few words and a couple of pictures, both well-chosen, and I know exactly what you're expressing.

He looks like a man you don't meet every day, as they say where I come from..................................

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i had a similar experience walking in southern turkey, the goatherders were very welcoming and friendly indeed inviting you for food and drink, very friendly to me but was told by a local that the greeks and turks hate each other due to past history.

goatherders
turkeypics072.jpg

goatherders hut
turkeypics087.jpg

fishing hut
turkeypics028-1.jpg

this is actualy where the swamp scene in film 'African Queen' was filmed (yes in turkey)
turkeypics052.jpg

tree fellers at work up in the mountains
turkeypics089.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE