An interesting read and very informative

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
The only thing I thought was misleading was to say a "...knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding..." is legal EDC. I think it would have been better to say a "...FOLDING knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is INCAPABLE of LOCKING..."

Rat

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The only thing I thought was misleading was to say a "...knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding..." is legal EDC. I think it would have been better to say a "...FOLDING knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is INCAPABLE of LOCKING..."

Rat

AFAIK it isn't blade length, but cutting edge length that counts. So you roll the cutting edge over some card and measure the line it makes. - ie. a blade that is 3" long could have a cutting edge 4" long if it is curved.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Don't know the answer, but that makes no sense to me: Surely the law is written to counter against the possibility of being stabbed with a long knife blade. Length of cutting edge seems irrelevant.

Also, as serrated blades have a longer cutting edge than a plain edge on the same sized knife, they'd have to be a lot shorter than 3-inch to remain legal!

Anyone know?

Rat

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
The legislation says:

139 Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.E+W(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.
It applies to the cutting edge, not the overall length of the blade. Theoretically you could have a folder with a 6" blade where only the last 2.99 inches is a sharpened cutting edge. Although I wouldn't like to get that past the local bobby!

Link to source info:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
The legislation says:

It applies to the cutting edge, not the overall length of the blade. Theoretically you could have a folder with a 6" blade where only the last 2.99 inches is a sharpened cutting edge. Although I wouldn't like to get that past the local bobby!

Link to source info:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

Good grief, so it does. What nonsense! Anyone know of any case law on this to test the point? (no pun intended)

Rat

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
There was a case recently in Scotland where the police and Procurator Fiscal (Scots law version of the DPP) tried to prosecute a woman for carrying a folding knife. She was going to plead guilty (presumably at the recommendation of 'her' defence solicitor, who may well have been a duty solicitor), but the Sheriff asked for the blade to be measured. I don't remember the blade length or the length of the cutting edge being mentioned, but it must have been less than 3 inches, because the Sheriff basically threw the case out. I wouldn't mind betting that the PF and the duty solicitor were given a wee talking to (read - a right old rollicking) by the Sheriff!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE