An axe to start with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

John Burton

Just a newbie question . . . any suggestions for a reasonably priced axe for general bushcraft use?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The wetterling range are reasonably priced and of a good quality - although if you have little experience using an axe I must suggest you think seriously about your need for one.

Would a good saw and the use of a baton suffice?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I agree with Gary. I've been an outdoorsman for many years and have yet to have a real need for an axe. In inexperienced hands, they can be very dangerous. That said, I do have a lot of experience with a splitting maul and for future, I plan on getting a Wetterling large hunters axe so I can learn to use a small axe with some sort of proficiency as well. If you do decide on getting an small axe for woodsworking, start slow with it and gain confidence in your ability to control it. Keep safe handling at the forefront of your practice sessions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE