An American looking for opinions on a pack out of the UK!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Tusk

Apr 12, 2018
America!
Hey everybody!

As the thread title states, I'm an American looking for an opinion on a pack out of the UK.

I've been pack hunting for a good while now, have a few packs and have played with a lot of set ups over the years and feel like I'm starting to really get a grasp on what the sweet spot is for myself in terms of what I really want and will get the most use out of for my 1-5 day pack.

This is the pack I've had my eyes on for quite some time that is an American pack, but the price point is hard for me to really justify to myself.
https://www.mysteryranch.com/metcalf-pack

So, have been spending a quite a bit of time looking for something similar in weight, load capacity and size.
My intense searching has lead me to this Bergen made by Marauder.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marauder-F...1523513892&sr=8-18&keywords=Marauder+Tactical

It's been very hard for me to find reviews on it, are any of you familiar with this pack or this company? Also, are there any other similar packs/companies you can think of out of the UK that are worth looking into?
It doesn't have to be milspec, the function just translates here, so.

Also, something else I've been considering is having imported another UK made system, using this hip belt in conjunction with a lighter pack, possibly.

There is definitely a lot of good stuff out of the UK that us here in the U.S. aren't aware of and familiar with, so would appreciate any help or insight you all can offer!!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Packs are very individual things, and really need to be tried on. If your buying from the uk you will have to factor in shipping and possible taxes.

I have to admit that I have never heard of that brand and the fact that your asking here makes me suspect there is little on the web about it generally.

I would see what was available on EBay, local dealers etc. Kifaru also do very good packs, and are not cheap either, but again you might be lucky on EBay. And I understand that the issue marine pack has been designed by them, so if you do really want camp, then that might be an alternative. Frankly, you have much more choice in the States, and when it comes to surplus, you can source better, cheaper, more locally.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Just to follow on - the Marauder back looks pretty basic, the Mystery Ranch seems to have at least something a lot more padded and therefore with a better weight distribution. Reviews seem good, although the one where the guy had used Osprey is interesting - it is a relatively heavy pack, and I sorry are well known for their excellent back systems.

Considering the cost alone of the uk pack, this is one to try on first, so I would certainly look more locally.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I find this a hugely amusing question. The usual way of things is that it is a Brit trying to figure out how they can get some piece of superb American gear into the UK without being taken to the cleaners on shipping, tax, and Parcel Force extortion charge. In fact, back when there was British Blades, there were plenty of people writing about trying to get Kifaru packs into the UK!

Personally I started with a Snugpak Rocket Pack, upgraded to a PRI Karimor Sabre45 and 60-100, then upgraded again to a third hand Kifaru G1 Zulu (which I still have and am very fond of), then this last year I acquired a Hill People Gear Ute and Umlindi. Comfort has progressively gone up, in the order shown (Ute and Umlindi use same harness and belt, so about the same).

Mystery Ranch have a bit of a reputation for being heavy, but the quoted weight/volume of that is pretty good, better than my Zulu and on par I think with the Ute. The PRI Sabres were good, but personally I found the Kifaru and HPG are in a another league for versatility and design detail.

http://www.pri-international.co.uk/brands/berghaus-military/
http://www.pri-international.co.uk/brands/karrimor-sf/

Reactions: Bishop

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Marauder packs- I know a fair bit about them. They are aimed squarely at the military. All of them have a shorter back than the civvy rucksacks. The frame is just a flat ali bar about 3/4" wide with 4 "fingers" coming off of the top bar towards the bottom of the bag. (Like a hand with the fingers pointed down). They are function over form and can carry a LOT. The waist belt is a waist belt and not a hip belt so as to clear belt webbing which the UK Forces use.

A better rucksack is the Sabre 80-130 for a similar size but it will adjust when the full capacity is not used. A reputable seller will sell it to you tax free (20%) but you will pay for extra shipping to the States.

https://www.cadetdirect.com/karrimor-sf-80130-predator-plce-modular-multicam

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yes, i bought one of the marauder 'sas style' packs a few years back (a different style to that which you linked to), and have never used it - to be honest it was just too flimsy and not overly well made. The pack that you linked to is a commercial copy by that same company of the genuine issue air support bergen. You will find the genuine article for sale - almost exclusively in DPM - on the likes of ebay (or here- which is in MTP and advertised as the real deal: https://www.army-surplus.co.uk/mtp-field-pack-air-support-nsn-issue). They are of superb quality, very robust (and quite heavy because of it), but as mentioned above - beware that the back system is very basic, and it is designed to sit on top of a belt mounted webbing system - with that taking the weight off your shoulders rather than the hip/waist belt that the actual bergen comes with. To be honest, the Karrimor SF packs like that linked to above, or a military berghaus vulcan would likely serve you a little better..... (or even an old lowe alpine military pack - like the dutch issue saracen clones)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The Snugpack rocket pack was short backed, as described, and it nearly killed me in under a mile! Not only was the weight on my shoulders, but the pack put pressure on the small of my back. Lower back hurt a lot.

Reactions: R.Lewis

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
What about a Berghaus Crusader? 90litres = 5492 cubic inches
Berghaus Crusader 90 + 20 MMPS Military Rucksack Backpack Bergen Bag Pack Green 5034856438835 | eBay
Or a Wisport Raccoon? 85 litres= 5187 cubic inches - I've also just noticed that Military 1st now have free shipping to the US
Wisport Raccoon 85L Rucksack Olive Drab | Bergens & Patrol Packs | Military 1st

I have bought from both of these suppliers on multiple occasions without any problem

The Northern Ireland pack is a quarter of the capacity of those the OP is interested in and only really available used

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
Hi @Red Tusk - like others, i'd suggest that this particular rucksack is not for you. because of what its designed to do, which is sit on top of webbing, its not going to be very comfortable when you walk around in the countryside with the world and his kitchen sink in the sack. infact its going to hurt like hell...

personally i'm also not an enormous fan of the build and material quality that Marauder use - their stuff is a great deal better than some, but its not as robust as it could be, or needs to be, and its not cheap.

if you're looking for a bit of a bargain, i'd suggest hitting ebay and searching for 'Berghaus Cyclops' - you'll see a procession of olive green rucksacks called Roc, Vulcan, and Crusader. i've got all three, all three are between 20 and 30 years old, and all are going strong. they are simple, if a little on the heavy side, and utterly indestructable.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
If there is a need for as large of volym as the Marauder has there is larger sidepockets (15 l) than standards (10 l) and one gets 120 l total. As one sidepocket fits on the front of the bag (not great but it works) one gets in the region of 140 l total or just ad some molle pouches.
Yeah but I was looking at packs in the same region/slightly larger than the Mystery Ranch pack OP had been hankering after previously rather than the Marauder

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You seem to have very specific requirements, and I would think the better option for you is to go into a well stocked store and try then buy.

Quality costs, and I would think that US pack in your first post seems to be good quality.

Also, with due respect to this British site and members, but backpacking, equipment design and development is far more advanced in US, Canada and Scandinavia than in Britain.
Trekking in nature for days is a lifestyle and the most popular hobby with us, as has been way before Ray Mears was a gleam in his father’s eye!

Bergans of Norway
Fjällräven of Sweden
Norrøna from Norway
Haglöfs from Sweden
Savotta from Finland

The Canadians have some good stuff too I believe.

Last edited:

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
So, have been spending a quite a bit of time looking for something similar in weight, load capacity and size.
My intense searching has lead me to this Bergen made by Marauder.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marauder-F...1523513892&sr=8-18&keywords=Marauder+Tactical

The bergen that you linked to is a copy of an issue item called the Field Pack, Air Support. If you are still interested in this item, there is another copy here in OG that is considerably cheaper:

http://www.nicks-kit.co.uk/pathfinder-bag---green-9922-p.asp

I suspect that this one is made by Raven Systems but I couldn't tell you much more about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE