An alcohol stove to cook rice? (Stoves which simmer)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Any recommendations?

It's impossible to cook rice (well) on my whitebox stove. It's too hot. I saw the Brasslite ID stove (I think it was called) which had a simmer ring.

Are there other stoves out there like that?

What are your experiences, guys?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The Trangia has a simmer ring which should work. Otherwise there are some splendid (and expensive) controllable alcohol stoves from the US maker Minibulldesign.com

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a whitebox and have often used it to cook rice. I use a Titan kettle and just enough water so that the rice remains slightly firm when all has been absorbed. Then I wrap it in a pot cosy I got from Bob at Backpacking light and that keeps it hot while finishing the job of cooking the rice at a gentler pace.

You just need to be vigilant it is about to boil dry and whip it off the stove and into the cosy.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Another way would be to use more water than you need, let it boil away furiously until tender then just drain off the excess liquid...

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
I use a small pot. Bring the rice to a boil,remove from heat and let it sit for a while and let the hot water gently cook the rice.(I always thoroughly wash and dry the rice before I take it away)Use another pot to cook interesting things,drain rice and either add to the pot or serve seperately.

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
We had rice everyday during our 4 days camping trip in Scotland few months back, we used Trangia without fail, rice in water, bring it up to boil, stir for a few minutes, then simmer ring on.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I made one of these, which you boil up some rice first, then poor into this, and leave it with the lid on for 20mins. Works a treat.

SAM_0098.jpg

I made an insulated pot out of an old sponge pudding tin and plastic lid you get off ghee tins, so that you can rehydrate food without wasting fuel.

SAM_0101.jpg

This fits snuggly into the top pot...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE