an afternoon on Sheeps Tor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
Google Earth .kmz route download >>HERE<<

What better way to end a great weekend then with a walk on the Moors?.

Unfortunately (for us at least) one of our favourite spots has received a lot of press lately (thanks in no small part to Warhorse) and has gone from busy to Heaving - not so fun when the way in and out is a single lane through a village with limited passing places!

But anyways, we arrived at the base of Sheeps Tor still feeling a little worse-for-ware, and upon looking up at the summit more then one gentle curse was mumbled by parents and offspring alike. Luckily the assent went swiftly and smoothly, only pausing when the little-ones decided they wanted to go exploring...

Image0555.jpg

Although the OS Map labels a 'Pixies House' in the area, its location is left vague, and with assumption being the mother of a good-many mistakes, i promptly and confidently proclaimed this to be said hole - further research has proven me wrong however.

Image0554.jpg

Looking down to the road from the 'non-pixie-cave'...

Just below the top of the tor we came across this boundary/marker stone...

Image0564.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's markings of some kind on at least one side of it, but there's no mention of it on the map, and i can find no reference to it in the online sources, so it remains a mystery.

Image0559.jpg

The view from close to the top - the small patch of woodland in the middle distance holds a Scout Hut, with Gutter Tor to the right of it.

Image0565.jpg

The view from the top, looking down onto Burrator Reservoir.

Image0575.jpg

Moving north from the Sheeps Tor itself, and looking across the reservoir towards Leather Tor, with Sharpitor to the left and (in the far distance) Great Mis Tor to the right. The radio tower on the far right hand side is North Hessary Tor.

The return leg was quiet and uneventful, with Swmbo and I happy to have gotten out again, and the little-ones happy to have finally got to eat those sandwiches they knew i had in my pack.

Although somewhat dubious initially, i know the amazing views and 'bracing' breeze have shown my just exactly why i love to walk on the Moors, and i'm already looking forward to our next outing.. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE