Amy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
A few weeks ago we had a Scout camp and I did an axe, knife and saw session with some of our younger members. One of the girls is quite short and very small and had a lot of trouble with the weight of the axes we have. Thinking about it, it occurred to me that all these production axes are quite likely made for adults. When particularly small ten year olds are trying to learn how to use a new tool no wonder they struggle.

I spotted this one at Beaulieu Autojumble, so I now have a small lightweight axe in the collection, ideal for smaller hands.

DSCF0652.jpg

Looks like someone got a bit frustrated with the low mass and beat it with a hammer;

DSCF0650.jpg

Aaaah, Isn't it sweeeet;

DSCF0654.jpg

Cleaned up, it was out with our district camping competition Patrol last weekend. Insufficient wedging was exposed so rehafted yesterday. More 'old workbench wood', My Grandad agrees that it is Iroko. Don't know about it's suitability for axe shafts, but apparently it was the material of choice for torpedo racks, tough but cheap and readily available. So in it's new guise, all ready to go off with our competition Patrol, may I present the Amyaxe:

DSCF0655.jpg

DSCF0656.jpg

ganstey

Settler
Very nice. It even looks like an Amy:) Does the name Amy have any significance?

The first pic reminded me of the really small GB axe, but yours has more character. Does the cord around the handle have a practical purpose, or is it purely decorative? Either way, you've done a smashing job :notworthy

G

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The cord will stop the helve getting smashed to bits when the head misses its intended target. We used to do that with sledge hammers, replacing the cordage with wire.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice!
How does the wood deal with impact vibration?
I handled a hammer with oak once - bad mistake! It felt like I had smacked my hand with a hammer!

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Amy is the Scout who inspired the purchase! Thanks for comments.

I have yet to really feel what it's like for transmitting shock, it will be a couple of weeks before I get to play.

Yeah, like Spamel said. With Scouts it's going to happen.

ganstey

Settler
The cord will stop the helve getting smashed to bits when the head misses its intended target. We used to do that with sledge hammers, replacing the cordage with wire.

Ah! Makes sense. I have a Percy that could probably do with that treatment. What type of cord did you use? Does it matter? I've got some paracord which I bought ages ago that's really too short to be of use for what I bought it for. Maybe that would do? Perhaps for a sledge it needs to be wire :confused:

Cheers
G

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too, (who found the hatchet a bother when small)

Im doing up some axes, and one I hope to make into a SFA equivalent

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE