Americans use HEET for their alcohal stoves ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 24, 2009
LONDON
HI ALL -
This is a newbi question ???
Remember I know nothing about alcohal burning stoves .
So here goes ?

Americans use the yellow bottled HEET brand name for their alcohal burning stoves .
Is there an equivelent make of car antifreeze over here in the UK , that can be used the same way with our alcohal stoves .
Something that is easy to get a hold of say in petrol garages all over the country .
Or does every one use metholated spirits here with their stoves ????????????
I have been using the greenheat ethanol sachets with my CRUSADER COOKING SYSTEM, but I am not too impressed with them and thinking of a TINNY MINI ATOMIC STOVE which will fit into the bottom of the Crusader stove nicely.
So any advice would be appreciated .
Thanks .......

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
The yellow Heet is a methanol product with additives, methanol is not always easy to get in the US and usually you need to get it by the gallon sothe gasoline antifreeze is convienient. It is often refered to as "drygas" in the US. Not that there is anything wrong with Tinny's stove but have you tried building one yourself? Here is a link that many people already know
http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.htm#PressurizedJetAlcoholStoves
for a fairly simple one try the halcon stove it can be made from 1 can and using only a pocket knife, I have built several of these during lunchbreak just to show how easy it is and they work well. But a warning once you have built one you will want to build others of different styles and sizes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE