American Signal Crayfish in Hampshire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 11, 2014
Romsey
Hi All
I am a brand new member to this site and I joined for various reasons but mainly as I wish to trap American-Signal Crayfish in the Hampshire area....Can anyone give me the basics with regards to where in Hampshire I can trap them and what method to use (bait etc) I have just sent away for an application pack from the government so the legalities are taken care of....I thank you all in advance

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I'm not sure where in hampshire, however I get mine from the River Kennet, and adjoining streams when I am in the area. Local to me I go to the River Lea, where there are lots to be had there as well.

Also, the application pack is pretty simple, so you should be well on your way. As for baiting, well thats down to personal preference, likelihood is, you will get some whiteclawed crayfish as well (natives) which you have to put back in the water.

With my traps, I find a bit of homecured bacon and fishheads does the job better than anything else, as it is salty which draws them in. You're traps should be small enough so that other animals don't get in. Otters like the bait so best to ensure they can't get in.

I hope this helps.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
The Signal Crayfish is now found in almost all waterways in Southern England, so its more a question of where you can get permission from a landowner to place your traps... You will need to provide the grid reference of your proposed trap site on the application form.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE