America work placement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Got a placement through camp leaders (similar to camp america but more for instructors) to instruct in america taking children hiking, canoeing and rock climbing away from camp. i will be taking the children away from camp doing adventure trip leading. I cant wait!!! I'm going to try and subtly introduce bushcraft to the camp during activities.
After i have a few weeks to myself, ill be at camp in New Jersey but i quite fancy seeing Maine. Has anyone got any ideas, recommend me a location? I joined bushcraft usa and i've been talking to a few guys on there about it.

Thanks,
Ste

Got a placement through camp leaders (similar to camp america but more for instructors) to instruct in america taking children hiking, canoeing and rock climbing away from camp. i will be taking the children away from camp doing adventure trip leading. I cant wait!!! I'm going to try and subtly introduce bushcraft to the camp during activities.
After i have a few weeks to myself, ill be at camp in New Jersey but i quite fancy seeing Maine. Has anyone got any ideas, recommend me a location? I joined bushcraft usa and i've been talking to a few guys on there about it.

Thanks,
Ste

Hi Ste.
If you have the funds and haven't seen the Grand Canyon I can thoroughly recommend a visit. I spent 3 months in PA many years ago with Camp America and traveled around with some new friends I'd met whilst working there. Of all the sights I saw I was most impressed with the Canyon.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Well done Ste glad to hear your good news, best of luck . Try and keep the forum posted of your adventures.

phil

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Great Smoky Mountains; The Rockies; The Everglades; The Ozark Mountains; Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle; Niagra Falls; Key West (Mallory Square at sunset); etc.

Look up the US National Park service online and see what all they have to offer. Also look up the National Forest Service and the individual park and forrest services for the various states (you may have to try different combinations as each state categorizes them slightly differently but most official URLs will end in ".gov" or ".org" or something like) There is quite a bit of open public land in the Park Service and Forrest service (both national and state) and most states will send you a free brochure and info package in advance if you request one (you will have to wade through some extraneous tourist ads though)

Last edited:

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
The Great Smoky Mountains; The Rockies; The Everglades; The Ozark Mountains; Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle; Niagra Falls; Key West (Mallory Square at sunset); etc.

Look up the US National Park service online and see what all they have to offer. Also look up the National Forest Service and the individual park and forrest services for the various states (you may have to try different combinations as each state categorizes them slightly differently but most official URLs will end in ".gov" or ".org" or something like) There is quite a bit of open public land in the Park Service and Forrest service (both national and state) and most states will send you a free brochure and info package in advance if you request one (you will have to wade through some extraneous tourist ads though)
Thanks so much mate

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been nosing around online and here are some URLs (mostly on the upper East coast):

www.maine.gov/doc/parks Maine State Parks
www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks Pensylvania State Parks
www.state.tn.us/environment/parks Tennessee State Parks
www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests New Jersey State Parks
www.floridastateparks.org Florida State Parks
www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm Smoky Mountain National park in Tennessee
www.nps.gov/ever.htm Everglades National Park in Florida

These should get you started. They are scattered from Maine down to Florida and if you want to venture farther West there are many more (just bear in mind the distance can be pretty great as it's 3000 mile from East to West coasts) If you let me know what states you plan on visiting I'll try to send more. Don't forget that you're also going to be reasonably close to Canada With it's national and provincial parks.

Last edited:

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
I've been nosing around online and here are some URLs (mostly on the upper East coast):

www.maine.gov/doc/parks Maine State Parks
www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks Pensylvania State Parks
www.state.tn.us/environment/parks Tennessee State Parks
www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests New Jersey State Parks
www.floridastateparks.org Florida State Parks
www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm Smoky Mountain National park in Tennessee
www.nps.gov/ever.htm Everglades National Park in Florida

These should get you started. They are scattered from Maine down to Florida and if you want to venture farther West there are many more (just bear in mind the distance can be pretty great as it's 3000 mile from East to West coasts) If you let me know what states you plan on visiting I'll try to send more. Don't forget that you're also going to be reasonably close to Canada With it's national and provincial parks.

Thanks mate, i;ve had a look on some of these there very helpful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE