Amateur Radio Operators, Beginners Advice?

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
On an Australian trip, I built a 1/4 wave with a ground plane out of #8 stranded wire so I could fold it into my suitcase with the radio. With a tip string, far easier to put up than a dipole. VK3ZZZ temp, I think I was using.

Reactions: SaraR

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I couldn't find the app ed, could you link it?

Just started Module 1 online with essexham, things starting to make more sense.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I couldn't find the app ed, could you link it?

Just started Module 1 online with essexham, things starting to make more sense.
When I did mine, a lot of people who’d just done it said that the mock exams available on the RSGB’s website were a lot easier than the exam itself, whereas EssexHam’s mock exams were similar to the real thing. I did think that the lever of difficulty was matched quite well by the EssexHam ones, but the wording was fairly different, so maybe it would have been good to do some of the RSGB ones just to get used to that...

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
having a look at the RSGB mocks, thanks

Just got module 2 and a lot more to remember. I guess the unprogrammable scientific calculator is only needed in a "sit in" exam and i can use the sci calc on my phone?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
having a look at the RSGB mocks, thanks

Just got module 2 and a lot more to remember. I guess the unprogrammable scientific calculator is only needed in a "sit in" exam and i can use the sci calc on my phone?
I'm not sure you need more than just an ordinary small calculator, to be honest, but can't quite remember. Just make sure you're comfortable using whatever you'll have in the exam when the time comes.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
You just need a simple scientific calculator, nothing fancy to handle the exponent. However if you are confident with handling powers yourself 'manually' then a kiddy calculator will do. For what it's worth, I took a standard Casio sci calculator to all 3 exams, and never used it, I did all the sums in my head. But then I'm used to the sort of numbers that come up. Having a numerate degree and working as a physics teaching lab technician prepares you a bit

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.