Foundation Amateur Radio Course in Scotland - any interest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm currently in the process of becoming a registered instructor for amateur radio licensing courses, as part of my role as a civilian instructor in the air cadets.

It might be possible for me to run a Foundation Licence course for other groups too. It would involve ten hours of instruction, and a 25 question multiple choice exam. Fees would be £27 or so for the exam, and a few quid for venue hire. I don't charge for my time. Venue is in Crieff Perthshire. Would probably do it over a weekend in spring 2012. I can accommodate twenty candidates.

Successful candidates can then apply to the government agency Ofcom for a licence and callsign. This is free.

http://www.rsgb.org/arls/foundation_licence.php

Benefits of a licence:

- Looks good on the CV
- Opportunities to volunteer in emergency communications (RAYNET)
- Allows world wide communication on short wave
- Allows use of amateur UHF/VHF handheld equipment, and range is greatly extended by repeater stations
- Can use Data comms, satellites, morse, slow scan television etc
- Combines well with camping especially on the long dark winter nights
- Pleasure from talking to citizens of different countries
- Satisfying technical pursuit
- Advanced licence allows operation abroad in Europe, Canada, US, Australia etc.

If anyone is even possibly interested, put your name down on the thread (without any obligation) and I will get back nearer the time.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I'd be interested - I've looked into this in the past but had no response from those that I contacted so I left it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Doc , How do I tell which of my local Providers will teach the Foundation course in a single block sitting?? ie 10 hours straight as opposed to 5 weeks of 2 hours.

Many thanks and well done, shame your not closer.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hi Mark, interest noted.

Teedee, I think the only way to find out is from the individual provider or club - the RSGB course search isn't great. When I tried to get my son on the course I found some places had no courses planned, or were only open to pupils at a particular school, or whatever. In the end we went to the excellent Cockenzie and Port Seaton club, who were brilliant, but it was a three hour round trip.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Billyblade, roger, will PM you nearer the time.

Santaman, yes, you do now. But this is a new thing to cover the practical assessments. I was self taught when I did my exam.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Thanks Doc, I did the study for it many years ago, but joined the military before I got to take the test. I also have a radio licence through flying, so not sure if that will come in useful?

All in, I think having the skill and having the kit would be a very useful skill to have indeed as an ally to this hobby.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Billyblade, roger, will PM you nearer the time.

Santaman, yes, you do now. But this is a new thing to cover the practical assessments. I was self taught when I did my exam.

Thanks. I was self taught as well; at least as far as the "Technician", and "General" exams. There's no way I'll be able to do the "Extra" exam without instruction though. It's still legal as such, but I couldn't pass it alone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE