Amateur/Ham Radio

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 23, 2005
Couldn't find an existing thread so I thought I'd start one.

How many of the BCUK forum members are involved in amateur radio?
What are their call signs?
What do they work?
And whereabouts in the UK/world are they?

-Corrosion

May 23, 2005
No, It's not.
Maybe I'm just being pedantic but you could have asked that in a PM rather than a thread with a specific topic.

Ok, back to the original question: Are there any radio hams on the BCUK forum?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Been licensed since 1994, first as G7RXF, now as GM0WEZ.

I sometimes take a home built 2 watt morse rig when camping - it can be satisfying making contacts over hundreds of miles with a tiny box of parts. On the other hand, there is an argument for keeping electronics out of the woods so I don't always bring it.

Mostly I operate Morse on HF and do a bit of RAYNET work. I dabble with satellites, APRS, Hellschreiber and PSK31.

People used to think hams were like Tony Hancock. Now they think we're like Eugene. I am not convinced this is an improvement....

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Sorry Corrosion it was an attempt at a poor joke that didn't really work, no offence intended. It was not a personal swipe at you!

pe1pme

Dec 17, 2004
Utrecht, the Netherlands
As my nick indicates: pe1pme since 1996.
I work on 2m, 70 cm fm and ssb. Working atv on 1.2, 2.3 and 10 GHz and just started on hf.
I'm also a scout, so there's the JOTA within a few days. Maybe a sked with all the bushcraft-(scout)-ham people?

73's de pe1pme

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
G6PBN for goodness knows how long (reminds me I owe them money, better pay up!) havn't worked much for years as where I live has 400-600ft hills within about a mile and a half of home and a dog leg in the valley about 2 miles south

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its always something I've been interested in as a small child but due to circumstances (always being skint) I've never got around to getting my licence. The other problem i have is that i live right near the police station and if i remember correctly you cannot operate a station within 100m of one.... or something like that.

I have been thinking of doing my foundation and getting a little HT to use when out and about...... though I don't know what sort of reception I'd get as I'm surrounded by mountain...... maybe CW is the way to go for me.... I know a couple of people around here that seem quite addicted.... they reckon its the only way to get any real ditance in this dog leg of a valley (that and a ruddy great antenna)

Maybe I'll find a club and enquire.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE