Amadou

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Still looking for it, got some Artists Fungus but let it dry out too much before finding out how to prepare it (needs a lot of boiling with wood ash when prepared).. love to find some.

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
found one the other day - I'll dry it out and give it a go - dryish already, I fancy the cutting into strips and beating flat

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have a few of these in the garage at the moment. I have been trying to peel one. This thread has a good description of the process. I have found one trick that seems to help and that was to smash the hard outer shell before trying to peel it off. Danny was good enough to send some of his finished amadou and I can vouch for it being fanatstic tinder. Every time I have tried it the first spark catches and then the ember grows.

Definitely worth giving it a try.

Z

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lucky man :cool:
If you just take what you need just now, and persuade the rest of the family to leave the rest alone, they might well get bigger yet :D

Seriously, the biggest one I've had to cut up was over a foot wide and deep.
It's still getting used and it's been being used for over two years now. Brilliant :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE