Amadou!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 21, 2009
Okay! Can someone give me a extremlly detailed tutorial for gathering Amadou for flint and steel!? I've heard mixed things about gathering it, and all I'd like to know, is how to gather it, what fungus's to use (if there are any spaciffic Polypore's) and anything else I need to know about it!
Thanks!!

~Brink

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
So far I have only got round to trying the salt peter method which works ok I will get round to trying the wood ash method as well sometime.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The wood ash method works fine and produces good amadou. I usually put a couple of tablespoons in with the fungus and boiling water and simmer until it's soft(-ish!). Then flatten it and, while still damp, rub in some more wood ash. After that, dry it and so on as you would do.

Some folk insist on it being hardwood ash. To be honest, I've never knowingly tried it with softwood ash. I assume it would still work, maybe just not quite as well...

Jul 21, 2009
Okay, thanks.
I've heard someone say you needed to make a "slurry" out of the wood ash, to rub it on when its still damp. I'm assuming you do that by adding a bit water. But if you did, it would turn in to lye, and that could burn your hands... right? Also, what kind of fungus did you use, I'm trying it with a Red Belted Conk.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I used the good ol' horse hoof fungus (Fomes fomentaria) which was sent to me by an extremely helpful bod north of the border.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE