Am I overreacting?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Afternoon Folks,

I'm more than a little annoyed about something!
Just over 18 months ago I commissioned a matching set of knives, now at the time of the order I was told it would take around 6 months, but I am still waiting. Now I know Custom knife makers take pride in their work so some over run was expected and excepted, but on contacting them this week I was told my knives were going to be done after a small production run of knives!
So am I being stupid or is it justified to express my frustration with the maker?

All advise welcome!

Cheers

Turnip

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You have a right to be annoyed, and you should tell them how you feel.

I got behind last year when i got diabetes, I'm still catching up from it, and finding it difficult. Knives aren't something that can just be knocked out as and when, they take time to make.

Just have a word, tell em how it is. See what they say. You can always get your money back.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I think you have a point. I would not be happy if my order was taken, before the order, for this "small production run". I feel it should be, first come, first served.
If it is a case of, just falling behind, then as Mark said, it can happen.
A friendly phone call, wouldnt hurt.
Hope you get them soon.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire

I got behind last year when i got diabetes, I'm still catching up from it, and finding it difficult. Knives aren't something that can just be knocked out as and when, they take time to make.

Just have a word, tell em how it is. See what they say. You can always get your money back.

Cheers mate! the wait wasn't really what annoyed me, It was the production run!

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I think you have a point. I would not be happy if my order was taken, before the order, for this "small production run". I feel it should be, first come, first served.
If it is a case of, just falling behind, then as Mark said, it can happen.
A friendly phone call, wouldnt hurt.
Hope you get them soon.

Cheers mate! Hope so too! :)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala

I've pondered over this myself, but when you don't get replies what can you do.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I've pondered over this myself, but when you don't get replies what can you do.

You can write and cancel the order owing to breach of contract - a verbal agreement is still a contract and go to someone who keeps their word, or at least manages your expectations when things go awry.

Are you familiar with the 6Ps? Proper Preparation....

Only Ps 4, 6 & 6 apply here.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
If I'm honest guys I was just a bit disheartened! I was really looking forward to getting them and guess I got my hopes up that I was going to hear good news! but then you know what they say about assumptions! :)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
If I'm honest guys I was just a bit disheartened! I was really looking forward to getting them and guess I got my hopes up that I was going to hear good news! but then you know what they say about assumptions! :)

A bit disheartened? Three times the expected ETA and still no sign of any positive delivery? You are a saint sir!

I do not personally know anyone who would be so patient. trusting, and placid.

Personally I think you should name the maker. After all the truth is not libellous and they might be stringing a dozen people on.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
A bit disheartened? Three times the expected ETA and still no sign of any positive delivery? You are a saint sir!

Personally I think you should name the maker. After all the truth is not libellous and they might be stringing a dozen people on.

Just over 3 years and counting.

It was a trade. Swapped a kent pattern axe for putting a profile and sharpening on to an already cut to shape large medieval 'messer' blade in O1 tool steel. I also threw in about half a dozen 3mm EN45 spring steel dagger blanks and cylindrical ash blocks with a slight cone shape to be handles to sweeten the deal, as I never got round to making them up. I then asked about heat treating; said they would try but didn't have a container big enough, so I sourced that as well. It may not have been suitable, but I wasn't told that when I dropped it off. I have offered to collect the blade blank back but just don't get a response back.

As it stands, I'm not in to naming and shaming and they have a had a tough time. They know who they are.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire

Haha I've been called a lot of things but never that!
I'm just pretty laid back until my patience finally runs out, then I tend to go the completely the other way. So would rather keep it civil for now! :)
The Maker is a reputable one, and has been nothing but a pleasure when I have dealt with them, so I'm sure they have a good reason! and if not!,.... well then I wont be quite so laid back! :)

Thanks for your input so Far folk! really appreciate it!

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Good comunications makes a big difference. I'm 9 months into a 3-6 month wait, & I've not heard a dickie-bird !

An e-mail to say "you're not forgotten" would help a lot.

Unfortunately some of these skilled craftsman / makers / artists were blessed with talents other than good comms ! :puppy_dog

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
received this reply earlier: "Hi, I have near 300 orders for these, its almost impossible to accurately estimate a completion time let alone talk to every customer, rest assured, I have everything here, ready, I'm just awaiting a schedule"

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
received this reply earlier: "Hi, I have near 300 orders for these, its almost impossible to accurately estimate a completion time let alone talk to every customer, rest assured, I have everything here, ready, I'm just awaiting a schedule"

Not the best customer service in the world. 300 orders and still doing other jobs. I think the maker should be closing his order book fairly soon to play catch up.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
if you haven't paid any money I'd just walk away but then I'd just contact heinnies and pic something from the website and save the cash for something else....

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
300 orders and they don't have a schedule worked out?

I think they are about to put an order in for a manufacturer to make up several hundred blades.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Sounds like you're going to be waiting another 18 months, I'd cancel the original order and ask hillbill to make you a knife.

It does seem like it might be a retirement present to myself! :)
I'm already a proud owner of a knife made by Mr HillBill and a its a superb all rounder! I'm just a bit of a knife *****! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE