Aluminium (Sigg) water bottles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Are they safe to boil water in? The blurbs on the product info say the inside is hygienically coated or some such nonsense.

Maybe a silly question too but are the silver ones just uncoated alu or is it silver paint?

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Pretty sure that they have some sort of plastic coating on the inside so not heatable in any meaningful way.
Dont think any are untreated aluminium unfortunately.Sure I've seen a boilable one somewhere but probably
better to get a Ti or Aluminium mug if you want lightweight boiling vessel.
Cheers , Simon

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Pah, that's disappointing. So why get a Sigg Al bottle over a plastic Naglene bottle, whats the advantage?

The Sigg FAQ does say that you shouldn't boil as it damages the outer coating, but nothing about the inner. Hmm..

If I had the money I'd get a Vargo Ti bottle,

1860.1.jpg

Never thought a water bottle could be sexy. But at nearly fifty squid I think I'll pass...

I take it SS bottles are unlined ?

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Are they safe to boil water in? The blurbs on the product info say the inside is hygienically coated or some such nonsense.

Maybe a silly question too but are the silver ones just uncoated alu or is it silver paint?

You do know that if you fill a plastic bottle full, with no air it will boil water on a open fire. A very nice Sjt Major taught that trick 9 years ago.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Pah, that's disappointing. So why get a Sigg Al bottle over a plastic Naglene bottle, whats the advantage?

The Sigg FAQ does say that you shouldn't boil as it damages the outer coating, but nothing about the inner. Hmm..

Ha I knew you'd mention that the FAQ only talks about the outer...

Heat in reality is going to damage the outer and inner. They ain't made for heating water in. As for the SIGG / Nalgene debate...

I guess firstly SIGG have been making water bottles for Hiking for a lot longer then Nalgene, Then there is the whole BPA in plastics issue etc.. Finally Sigg bottles come in some funky designs....

A SS bottle will be fine if it's made from 304 grade stainless and they are generally unlined... Look for one that is drawn or spun construction rather than seam welded if you intend heating it up... Guyot make some SS bottle and there is acompany called Eco Tanka as well IIRC...

A TI water bottle seems like a waste of time IMHO

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Ha I knew you'd mention that the FAQ only talks about the outer...

Heat in reality is going to damage the outer and inner. They ain't made for heating water in. As for the SIGG / Nalgene debate...

I guess firstly SIGG have been making water bottles for Hiking for a lot longer then Nalgene, Then there is the whole BPA in plastics issue etc.. Finally Sigg bottles come in some funky designs....

A SS bottle will be fine if it's made from 304 grade stainless and they are generally unlined... Look for one that is drawn or spun construction rather than seam welded if you intend heating it up... Guyot make some SS bottle and there is acompany called Eco Tanka as well IIRC...

A TI water bottle seems like a waste of time IMHO

I see your point with the BPA, but isn't there a similar worry with aluminium cookwear? And sure a Ti bottle IS a waste of time (especially as its only a 750ml one) but it appeals to the gear ***** in me :)

I found the Klean Kanteen to have a pretty good reputation from what I've seen so far but I do't think they're the easiest to find in the UK. They list it as 18/8 SS not sure of the nomenclature myself :)

Is this the one you're talking about for the Guyot bottle?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...They list it as 18/8 SS not sure of the nomenclature ...

18/8 is near enough the same as 304. It's what they use for cheap-to-medium table cutlery, cooking utensils, stainless kitchens, worktops etc... It will do very well for any camp chores, including boiling water over a fire.

You only really need to worry about better grades of stainless if you're going to heat the steel very hot (e.g. in a stove flue), or if you expect it to soak in aggressive chemicals like salty water or bleach for long periods, or if you want to use it for something seriously structural.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I think a Sigg bottle can take hot liquids poured into it but is not to be heated itself... I tried heating a cheap Eurohike Sigg clone a while back out of interest and it didn't work out! They have an inner lining as well as the outer coating, a strange smell meant I didn't drink the water and binned the bottle. They say the new Sigg liner is BPA free (the older ones had BPA in them but were supposed not to leach it) but I still wouldn't want melted-plastic-laced water swirling round my insides.

My advice would be to get a stainless steel bottle if you wish to heat one - I have a Sigg 0.6l copy of the old school Swiss Army canteen which came with a metal mug on the bottom - the bottle is unlined (SS being more hygienic than AL) so you could heat it up if you should wish. Although seeing as it comes with a mug and is much too nice to burn on an open fire I've never used it for this. Apparently you could do something similar with 1944-pattern waterbottles, which must have been unlined AL, but again they also came with a nesting mug.

Surely you can heat a Swiss volcano stove flask directly, the cork stoppered one... Isn't that the whole idea of use?

Last edited:

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
No 1 litre bottle BUT I found that the 750 ml fits perfectly into one of those little stainless steel cups that were going for a couple of quid at Go Outdoors, so for about £10 I got a stainless steel cup nested with a water bottle and can boil in either one of them.

Just bought two of these (one 750ml for myself to drink from at work and a 500ml one for my wife when she goes running) and I am pleased with them. The stainless steel bottle seems an ok quality and although the top isn't as dense as Sigg the whole package was alot cheaper, and I would rather drink from stainless steel than aluminium. Quite impressed and good value. (No affiliation etc etc etc)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Only if I was very, very desperate (ie, life depended on it) would I drink water that been boiled in a plastic bottle.

Ive looked on YT, and of all the examples on how to do this I've not yet come across one where they drink the water afterwards. For good reason.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Only if I was very, very desperate (ie, life depended on it) would I drink water that been boiled in a plastic bottle.

Ive looked on YT, and of all the examples on how to do this I've not yet come across one where they drink the water afterwards. For good reason.

My (elderly) Uncle is a scientist, in fact he was a key member of the team that pioneered fusion of plastics, so any of us who had triang trains/scalextrics or plastic model soldiers as a kid benefited from that breakthrough. During the late sixties a product called "Roastabags" came onto the market which were a poly bag you bunged food into to cook in the oven. Kept it nice and moist and all that. Anyhow my Uncle forbade my Aunt from ever using them as in his scientific opinion small droplets of plastic melted and went into the food. I might add that in those days the type of plastic was mildly carcinogenic when consumed. SO - if you haven't all nodded off 'cos of the tediousness of this tale I would suggest very strongly you DON'T heat and consume water from a plastic/plastic lined bottle. (ps It does say on the Sigg plastic lined bottles not to heat them).

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've recently seen adverts for a similar 'cook-in-a-plastic-bag' product recently. Even without reading Manacles post above I went 'eeurgh' as soon as I saw it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE