Aluminium dutch oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most Dutch ovens here don't have wee legs.....I think that's a mazurka ? Might be wrong about the spelling.
British Caribbean and Indian cooking Dutch oven pots are slightly rounded on the base to sit comfortably in or over a fire. They also bake well because of that rounded base, it's easy to free bread and the like. They might not have the deep edge of some of the DO's but they have rim enough to hold ontohot embers.

I have very old iron cauldron with three legs though, it's missing it's lids.
Old cauldron's had two lids. An inner concave one that sat over the top of the simmering pot but under the top, convex, lid. The space created was used to bake breads and scones.

cheers,
M

Yeah it's not so cut and dried here either Mary. There are two different camps when it comes to defining just what makes a DO really a DO. Mostly the outdoor types are the ones who agree on the rimmed lid and legs whereas the ones calling any heavy lidded pot a DO are the indoor cooks. Not a perfect analogy but a fair generalization.

The one in Shewie's post seems to be not only the right style but made of "cast" aluminum as well. Whereas the others I've seen thus far in the thread seem to be spun aluminun. The cast will be only slightly heavier (if at all) then the spun ones and will distribute the heat more evenly. Although neither will be as efficieant as a cast iron one.

The secret is to practice with whatever you get until you learn its individual traits.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Haha Jason, did someone get a taste for that nice wee 10 inch pizza i made you on my frontier stove in the dutch oven lol. Took the cast iron 12 inch dutch oven over to Inchtavannach isle this weekend in the canoe and found that it sits perfectly in my 60 ltr canoe barrel, which is good cause there always a pain to carry around with the lid falling off every 2 seconds, be interesting to see how your ally one works out and a better question has to be, can we get 2 dutch ovens on my frontier stove and go industrial in our pizza making lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yet the Caribbean folks claim that there's are intended for open fire cooking, since that's their traditional method.

I think you are so right about learning to use what you have, I really do.

I can make clay pots, and cook in them too. Far more common through the millenia than any of the metal pots. They're the new boys on the scene :D Those who had neither clay nor metal used stone, and we have a lot good stone in this country very suitable for cooking pots and bakestones too.

cheers,
M

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Haha Jason, did someone get a taste for that nice wee 10 inch pizza i made you on my frontier stove in the dutch oven lol. Took the cast iron 12 inch dutch oven over to Inchtavannach isle this weekend in the canoe and found that it sits perfectly in my 60 ltr canoe barrel, which is good cause there always a pain to carry around with the lid falling off every 2 seconds, be interesting to see how your ally one works out and a better question has to be, can we get 2 dutch ovens on my frontier stove and go industrial in our pizza making lol
Who said it would be on your frontier stove :naughty:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
do i smell a wee spending spree in the air lol

you'll do well to keep up with me lol, i might of just accidentally bought a few things the other night
Oh goodie !! it all gets delivered to me anyway if its good stuff,, it might have got lost in the post ,,,if you know what I mean :lmao:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Jag,

I've a 14inch and use of a 12 inch annodised aluminum GSI dutch ovens. The annodising gives it the qualities of cast iron (non-stick once seasoned and hard as nails so that you dont scrape aluminum into your food if using metal spoons and it doesn't leetch chemicals if acidic food is prepared in it). But oh so much lighter than cast iron. Heat transfer and distribution are great and I do use iron pans too. Your not going to melt it on your standard camp fire and as said what you eating that needs taken up to aluminum melting point anyway. Wouldn't hesitate to recomend them, given many years of outdoor and indoor cooking.

Cheers GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE