Alternative uses for sloes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know folks go on about making sloe gin but unfortunately neither my wife nor I are a lover of it.

There's a whole load out in the hedges round me and it seems a shame to waste this harvest so what things can be done with sloes besides pickling them in alcohol?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Wine? I'm also not that keen on sloe gin (home-made rhubarb schnapps on the other hand :naughty: ) and I was a bit sceptical sloe about wine but I tried a bottle from someone I know who makes wine commercially and it was rather good. I've made my own and it's more than drinkable. It's similar to damson wine but a little bit thinner and more refined and not like sloe gin at all.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Would it be worth trying to make a sloe jelly for meat? Just done a batch of damson jelly which is fab. Boil 2kg of fruit for 40 minutes or so with 300ml of water and the juice of a couple of lemons. Strain through a muslin cloth or similar. Add 500g of sugar for each 500ml of fluid recovered. Boil until it it's ready to set (you can drip some on a chilled saucer to see if it will). Jar it up.

No idea if that will work, but might be worth a punt. Btw, tip from my experience yesterday: don't let it boil over. Twice. It'll take you for ever to clean the stove :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
You could make a jelly or jam out of it.
To keep with the booze theme you could make sloe vodka instead of sloe gin (assuming you like vodka, that is). I dare say you could even have a go at sloe brandy as well. Or maybe sloe rum?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My gran used to make a cracking sloe and blackberry jam, I think she used it in chutney as well.

Google might turn something up :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE