Alternative to whoopie slings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Looking for a new suspension for my hammock. I'm not keen on whoopie slings and would like a few alternatives suggesting for hanging it. I have on each end a single ring 1 3/4 dia.
I would like to keep it simple.
Should I look at tape or some other type of cordage(don't worry not 550)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used 18mm tubular webbing John before I got into the lighter stuff, exactly the same setup as Uncle Ray uses and shown in Bushblades tutorial

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Does it knot at all?
the setup I'm looking at is the one Shug shows in his second vid on Hammocking for beginers.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does it knot at all?
the setup I'm looking at is the one Shug shows in his second vid on Hammocking for beginers.

It's flat so it easily takes a knot and holds well too, I've not watched Shug how-to vids for a while, is it the line and tree strap suspension?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That's the one mate. Treestrap with loop and then working end through ring and knotted.
Just wondered if there was anything other than tape I could use.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That's the sort of thing I need. Cheers Paul.
They work the same as descender rings don't they?
Whats the weight load of the tapes please.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That's the sort of thing I need. Cheers Paul.
They work the same as descender rings don't they?
Whats the weight load of the tapes please.

yes mate. thats right. loads of videos on warbonnet site. no idea on weight mate but it takes me fine and im bigger than you :). im sure if you drop Brandon an email he will confirm the rating

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
this is what id like to do
[video=youtube;1iJTjful66M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M[/video]

thats okay but if you want to save on gear and weight (and cost) you only need two wiregate carabiners to use the 'garda hitch' (vid shows three pieces of gear, so six pieces in all for both ends of hammock, four krabs is all you need though), another alternative if you want to use just one carabiner you could use the 'italian hitch' with its end tied back to loaded rope/cord with a blakes hitch (or various prusik knot of choice) for quick easy adjustment. PS - garda hitch works better on wire/snap gates than screwgates if using krabs.

gforum.cgi

257px-HMS_complete.jpg

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

This is a primer on strap suspension. Excellent.
I use ratchet tie downs from the local hardware store, but make sure that you use polyester not nylon. Mine are 1" (2.5 cm) with breaking strain of 1300 lbs (ca 500 Kilos). I use climbing descender rings like those in the other video. You should google polyester webbing (or strap) to find a UK distributor. You can probably purchase 100 metre rolls at pretty good prices (which you can share) . The belt type adjusters may be available from haberdashers and the like. make sure that any rings you use are rated for human rescue or similar. Prof hammock also has a video on cordage systems other than whoopie slings. Both well worth a look IMO. There is also a really good video by Sgt Rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-bqE7OQZw
which is really lightweight, but pushes the limitsre breaking strain. Very instructive and demos good techniques.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have started using the rings method it does seem to simplify the rigging. I do have the rings on the hammock rather than the tree hugger as they double up as drip rings then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE