Alternative to paracord guylines- marlow excel pro 2mm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Hi,
I thought I would share with you guys a blinding deal on marlow 2mm excel pro cord. Thinner and lighter than paracord and have just swapped over my guylines on my tarp with this.
£5.50 for a 30m reel. My thinking was the polyester coating will not soak up the water like paracord (its a marine grade cord) and will take up less bulk/weight (and the colours will help prevent the classic tripping over the guylines at dusk!).

Link: http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/2198/marlow-excel-pro-mini-reels
Steve

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like good stuff. What's the stretch like, say compared to paracord?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Not much stretch in this stuff, it's near enough static...............really good, I've used it for a good while now without problem.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Lot less stretchy in comparison to paracord. Only minor downside that I can find is the fact that knot tying is slightly more fiddly (im probably being over critical)than paracord due to the cord being less stretchy/not as soft so intricate knots may need backing up. Although, I have tested the taut line hitch and it holds spot on. And keeping the tarp ridge line as paracord and using the marlow cord for the prussik knots works very well as it bites into paracord nicely.So certainly serves the purpose as guy lines and for prussiks. :)

steve

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Marlows/ English Braids lines are excellent in general, I've been using them for ages now.

That's a great price too.

Excel Racing is the dyneema core version if you wanna be a bit posher, fantastic stuff.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Pete. Pm me the link please as I want to order when I get home from hols and dont want to loose the thread. Now back to my cocktail :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Tell me what colour you want and I'll have it waiting for you?.....

PM sent.

Put the cocktail down and get back to training! :p

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To add, they have Marlow D12 2.5mm at half price too. It's the equivalent of the famous Amsteel blue and great for making dyneema whoopie slings out of.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I read this thread and posted on the 5th., and having slept on it I decided late the next day to order some as this is good stuff at a very good price; placed the order at 4.30 pm.....................

Arrived at the house this lunchtime to find it delivered, so top marks to Jimmy Green Marine, excellent service! Marlow braid, very cheap, fast delivery........can't leave it there!

No connection, etc.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
To add, they have Marlow D12 2.5mm at half price too. It's the equivalent of the famous Amsteel blue and great for making dyneema whoopie slings out of.

Hi
I was looking at making my own whoopee slings this time and was wondering if the 2.5 D12 would be good enough and easy enough to be able to use to make a whoopee or would 3 mm be better for say working with? Before I order some spools,
Cheers
Bill

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Billy.

The 2.5mm will be fine for them. If carrying weight isn't an issue at all, 3mm will outlast the 2.5mm but your going to get years of service from the 2.5mm in normal use.

3mm is recommended for very heavy users over 2.5mm.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Will the 2mm stuff be good for tying prussik knots on my ridgeline? They don't work very well using paracord as for the knot to bite properly it needs to be thiner than the paracord which I believe is 3mm?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Will the 2mm stuff be good for tying prussik knots on my ridgeline? They don't work very well using paracord as for the knot to bite properly it needs to be thiner than the paracord which I believe is 3mm?

It should be ideal for it, assuming your RL is greater than 2mm in diameter.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
Yep, prussiks work well with the 2mm cord over the paracord, it gives a great bite and will hold your tarp firmly in place on the ridge line :)

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi Billy.

The 2.5mm will be fine for them. If carrying weight isn't an issue at all, 3mm will outlast the 2.5mm but your going to get years of service from the 2.5mm in normal use.

3mm is recommended for very heavy users over 2.5mm.
Thanks Pete
What is it like to work with as in is it a bit more fiddely to make? like threading it back through its self?
Cheers again
Bill

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They are all much of the same fashion Bill, there's no problem really with any of them if you've got a decent bit of wire and are careful not to split any strands as you pass the wire through. The 2.5 D12 is actually slightly easier work with than Amsteel.

Some copper wire of about 1.5-2mm makes a great splicing tool. ;)

Great instructions here from a professional splicer; https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13328

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Nice, used up the last of my roll a couple of months ago. Timely find that, cheers.

Edit//
I also got a couple of line loks too :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Thanks for the heads up on this. Mine arrived today along with some other stuff. Very impressed with the speedy service from the company. No affiliation etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE