Alternative to Freeplay Ranger - Advice needed please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi, I have owned a Freeplay Ranger for years and its now dying, it doesn't hold its charge and the dial keeps sticking. I have loved this radio but sadly I don't think they are made any more. I don't have the tools or electrical skill to mend it.

Can any one recommend an alternative. Searched the forum but could only find threads over two years old.

Thank you.

Jay

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thanks Nohoval_Turrets.

Cheers for the links, I like the look of the Eton scorpion and the Freeplay Companion. Unfortunately I lack the skills and tools to fix the Freeplay Ranger.

Thanks again

Jay

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've had all the Eton range - and the Freeplay companion. Save your money. There really isn't a quality wind up radio about these days.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I've had all the Eton range - and the Freeplay companion. Save your money. There really isn't a quality wind up radio about these days.

Thanks for your advice, its a shame they are not up to scratch any more. I think I will get a battery operated one instead and use rechargeable batts in it.

Cheers British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats what I do - a small solar panel and some Eneloop batteries works far better - and is much more flexible to boot.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine isn't available now, but Maplins will have something - plenty of fold up "briefcase" ones about. Use the panel to charge a 12V battery and run a 12v battery charger to charge your AAs - then the 12V is gathering charge all the time :)

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thank you. I have a Maplins fairly close I will go and see what they have. Never thought of the 12V solar panel set up, that would be excellent for camping with the family as my kids love their gadgets.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If they use Iphones or the like you will need panels the size of Wales. But for a radio a 20W panel can generate plenty of power

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thanks rik_uk3 and Greenshoots.

I had never heard of Tecsun before, I like the look of them and I am always open to trying new (to me) brands out. They have a good range and I like the idea of the DSP. Plus I have never owned a shortwave capable radio before so I think thats the way forward for me along with a solar charger.

Cheers

Jay

Dec 18, 2010
bristol
hi there, my ranger died, its sitting in the garage so as I never thought about changing the batters and I now know it possible I will do that - cheers for the link Nohoval Turrets - it cant be too hard, might post a how to do it if successful.

I have been using a Pure Move 400d - excellent little rechargeable digital/FM radio, cant be missing the archers when out in the country, little fire, cup of tea, sun going down, nice.
steve

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
I recently had to change the battery pack in swmbo roberts solar (the original) as like others batteries had died.

Cheapest roberts replcement was £12, but ebay for battery pack (but came with wrong connector) and correct connectors and 5min only cost £4.67.

sent from my android

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
hi there, my ranger died, its sitting in the garage so as I never thought about changing the batters and I now know it possible I will do that - cheers for the link Nohoval Turrets - it cant be too hard, might post a how to do it if successful.

I have been using a Pure Move 400d - excellent little rechargeable digital/FM radio, cant be missing the archers when out in the country, little fire, cup of tea, sun going down, nice.
steve

If you do change the batteries in your Freeplay could you post how hard/easy it was.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE