Alternative to Fjallraven bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Hello all

I joined the forum earlier...I'm on a quest to find a decent bag. Quite taken with the Fjallraven Greenland bags, but the price is a bit steep, and I've not managed to find anything else similar?

The use...day bag and camera bag. I spend a lot of time outdoors, and have a range of bags, both hiking backpacks and camera bags. What I'm after is something that straddles the line between the two, so that I can keep my camera with me whilst not outside (or in a city etc), but if I find myself in the countryside, it'll be just as at home.

I have some padded inserts/compartments which will protect my camera adequately enough too, in case there's concern of it not offering enough protection.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
If you want the Fjallraven Greenland pack you just have to search around a bit to
find a reasonably priced one. If you're not in any great hurry and really want
a good bag it is well worth the effort.

You already have a range of bags, so I'm sure you know exactly what you want.

But you didn't say how much camera gear you plan to carry around. Is it just a
camera, or are there lots of other things in your photo equipment?

Have you checked "real" backpacks made for photography, with lots of compartments,
pockets and padding? (I know you already got some of those)

Or can you build a small protective mini bag, with padding in it, that you can bring
with you in any back pack? Building your own is fun, cheap, quite easy and you
ger exactly what you want in the end! Much better than buying something! :)

As for alternatives. There are millions of small backpacks to choose from, so there's
bound to be at least one out there that's exactly what you want.
It's easier to start with your preferences. If you list them, people here will flood you
with great suggestions!

:)

Last edited:

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Thanks for replying Ivanhoe. The greenland bag does look great, but I was more wondering what other brands are out there that might make similar things? I've noticed on some hunting sites there are a few companies that come close, so didn't know if there were others (I'm not a hunter). My history of outdoor equipment has been using more "modern" materials, with backpacks made from lightweight waterproof plasticy stuff, backings that are suspended off of the bag etc. I'm not too familiar with more "traditional" style companies.

As to camera gear, pretty much *just* an SLR with a lens and maybe an accessory or two. If I need to lug a large, heavy amount of kit around, I'll use a dedicated camera bag. But most of the time my camera consists of a full frame body and a 24-70 lens, which, though large and heavish, will fit in a normal bag. I do have a padded insert to put in other bags, to protect it.

I do have a cheap canvas messenger bag for cameras, but I am after something as a backpack...I use the messenger bag a lot, but only having one shoulder strap is a bit painful after a while.

And as to proper camera bags...as expensive as the fjallraven bags look, as soon as you add "camera" to "bag", it seems to double what you would otherwise pay...I nearly sprayed coffee across my computer when I saw how much "Billingham bags" cost!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
That LLBean bag does look like an option. Thank you for the suggestion! Definitely would want it in green though.

As an example of expensive camera bags, the National Geographic "Africa" bags are quite nice but 2x the price of fjallraven!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Yeah I saw the green, was saying for me the green version is a win!

Any other bags along the line of the llbean, fjallraven ilk? I think the LLBean bag will be almost as expensive at a fjallraven, after shipping and tax

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
So, any other suggestions? I'm getting closer to a decision but keep finding small niggles with everything that is putting me off.

I started off thinking the Fjallraven Greenland, but have now ordered a No.21 Large...I suspect though it might be a bit big for a daily use bag and it'll be returned, which is a shame! Ideally I'd like the No.21 in a size between Medium and Large, with the details of the large.

Summary of all the suggestions so far:

LL Bean Continental
http://global.llbean.com/shop/L.L.Bean-Continental-Rucksack/79241.html#start=1
Not a bad pack. Maybe a bit wide, Canvas is good but the plastic buckles not so much. Am I right in thinking LL Bean has a lifetime warranty? That's a good bonus.
http://global.llbean.com/shop/Heritage-Waxed-Canvas-Continental-Rucksack/88861.html#start=1 - This is a good solution to the plastic buckle thing, but am wondering if it's going a little too far with retro vintage styling. I think I like the merging of modern and vintage design, rather than just designing around vintage stuff.

Wisport bags
http://www.military1st.co.uk/itemlist.html?searchquery=wisport
Bit too military-tastic if I have to be honest. I'm after something that I can carry around in the great outdoors, but also not be too out of place around town.

Trakke Arkaig
http://trakke.co.uk/shop/arkaig_-waxed_cotton
Not sure what to think about this one. I like the photos, but the more I look at it, the more I think it's a bit too modern? (Yeah, I'm not fussy, much!)

Tamrac bags
I've got photo slings and Lowe Pro backpacks, so I don't need another proper camera bag really.

National Geographic bag
http://www.geographicbags.com/produ...ack_for_DSLR,_other_lenses,_laptop_and_tripod
Having said about camera bags, this is tempting, ish. Main reason for wanting a non-camera bag is for more non-camera storage.

And a few more I've found recently...

Duluth pack
https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks/outdoor/bushcrafter-pack.html
The above looks amazing...but that price. Lifetime warranty though.

Frost river Isle Royale Jr
https://www.frostriver.com/shop/canoe-camp/isle-royale-bushcraft-packs/
Like the Duluth above, but half the price. Might be the one (subject to some intense scrutiny on the web first!) Slightly concerned about getting stung for tax though.

zpyder

Sep 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Ended up making a bit of a mistake...ordering a Fjallraven No.21 Large and then trying to cancel it...without success...and whilst waiting for confirmation of the cancellation I ordered an Isle Royale Jr.

Both have arrived.

Decision time...the Fjallraven is definitely smarter as a daily carry, but slightly too big also. The Isle Royale is very awesome, still big,but not *too big*. It's also heavy. The style is also slightly overkill for carrying around town, but I don't think that matters. The lifetime guarantee and durability of the Isle Royale I think will swing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE