Alt-Berg Peacekeeper Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Has anyone any experience with these boots, and if so, how do you rate them / what are your experiences with them?

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Morch,

I've got some, they are not bad but I found a few problems with heel lift. I tried tongue depressers and different insoles but for walking long distances with a heavy weight they kept moving on my heels. They apparently do a bespoke service where they fit them to you which would probably solve any problems. The boots are very well made, hard wearing and a good price, but having said that have you looked at the new Lowa boots without the Gore tex lining, a possible alternative.

Brian

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have not had any experience with them at all but Altbergs are rated very well on one of the motorcycle forums I go on :)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I have a pair, I have worn them out phoned about resoling and was told they don't usually resole peacekeeper boots maybe something to bear in mind if you were thinking of having them done??
Which was the reason I bought them. :confused:
Good boots though they are like wearing slippers :rolleyes:
Thought about buying another pair but as I wear a pair of boots out a year went for the cheaper option(cheaper boots).
If I had been told they would not resole them I would not have bought them in the first place. :(

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
bothy
i worked/assisted at john bull in catterick for a while and they were always having Alt-berg boots in for resole/refurb.
they put pretty much any sole you want on a boot, from vibram to skywalk, i cant believe they told you this, you should try again as maybe someone was having a bad day.

the sole on the peacekeeper is the same as the more popular defender which was a firm favourite of the garrison. Mob dont want to buy new boots for the sake of a worn out sole.
i have a pair of EOD or old bomb disposal/para, because of the plastic d rings they seem to be able to be tightened a bit more, but for more of a heel lock i double tie the laces as low as possible. Very nice boots but normally a long waiting list (can be up to 8 weeks).On one occassion i saw a brand new pair of altbergs where the metal d-ring pulled out from the boot when tying the laces. this was due to the fact the staff were not pressing the rivet in properly but it was quickly resolved with a heated telephone call from JB :)
i would seriously consider going to the factory to try some on.
Mine have stretched a little, plus i think they allow more room in the boot for two pairs of issue socks and the spread of feet carrying heavy loads, so in this case order a half size below your normal size.

compared to issue assault boots(ok, Good VFM), matterhorn 8" non insulated(too floppy, sole squeaked and wore out to quick), Pro boots (fell apart), the alt-bergs give a lot more support and the skywalk sole is very stiff compared to vibram. Once worn in though they are very comfortable and the quality of the leather and stitching is streets ahead.

if you cant wait then Lowa, Hanwag or meindl make some great boots, of course avoid goretex if you can.
HTH

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
lostplanet said:
bothy
i worked/assisted at john bull in catterick for a while and they were always having Alt-berg boots in for resole/refurb.
they put pretty much any sole you want on a boot, from vibram to skywalk, i cant believe they told you this, you should try again as maybe someone was having a bad day.

The woman I spoke to was very nice about it and just said they did not normally resole Peacekeeper boots only the more expensive ones, but if I sent them down to them the manager would look at them and see if they were worth resoling.
Then she asked me if I would like another pair?? the whole idea of buying them was so I could get them resoled when the time came, if I send them and they say no, I lose all ways up as I have to pay postage to send them.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
mmm that is strange, very unlike my experience with alt berg, although i may be wrong, a lot changes in 4 years.
as an alternative try ringing john bull's shop during the week and ask if they can get them resoled for you.
john gains is very helpful with this type if thing.

www.johnbullclothing.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE