Alpkit Y Beams Tent Pegs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Today I received in the post a little jiffy bag containing 10 shiny new tent pegs. Fed up of bending aluminium V pegs, I decided to treat myself to a set of Alpkit Y beams. They cost £6.50 for 10, including delivery. I ordered on Sunday and they arrived by royal mail post on Tuesday.

The pegs as they come out the packet have a short length of red cord attached. The first thing I did was remove the cord. It's not a very good quality piece of cord, and the heat sealing on the end seems to be inconsistent. In theory the cord is there to help you remove the peg from the ground later. I've always found that just using one peg as a handle to remove the other works, so will continue this. The cord just adds weight. In total across the 10 pegs, the red cord came to 9.2g.

This brings me onto the peg weight. Alpkit advertise the pegs as weighing 14g. With the string attached, only 1 of the 10 pegs weighed close to the 14g. With cord removed they came in at:

14.2g 13.4g 14.2g 13.9g 13.6g 13.5g 13.9g 13.8g 14.0g 13.7g

For an average weight of 13.8g.

The pegs are made from a single piece of extruded aluminium and feel very strong. The cut out notch on all 3 sides of the peg is not very deep, but I will be using it with 2mm dyneema so shouldn't be an issue.

I got the pegs for low land use with my camo tarp. Where I want something reliable, strong and lightweight. For upland use on longer trips I may invest in something a bit lighter. But for what I need now, these should do fine. Nice fast service from Alpkit, and the weights are pretty close to as advertised. Nice pegs.

Julia

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I got myself some of these the other week and also arrived in a nice short time.

Tried them out at the weekend. The thing i like is i cant miss them when going to pull them out :)

setup3.jpg

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've been using them for a while now with a DD 3x3 and now an Alpkit Rig 21 tarp, strong, light, and hold well in a variety of ground conditions, and no bending ! :)

I almost cut the cords off when I first got them but glad I didn't, they do make pulling them out very easy and the small weight difference doesn't matter for me as not hiking long distances.

Cheers, Paul

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I got myself some of these the other week and also arrived in a nice short time.

Tried them out at the weekend. The thing i like is i cant miss them when going to pull them out :)

I went for the silver rather than the red, so they aren't quite as visible. I'll be testing them next week, so will see how I get on. I haven't thrown the cord away. I do have some YELLOW dyneema I could use as well...

I saw your picture before I ordered. It did make me smile. Is the use of the crab as well not slightly over kill?

I've been using them for a while now with a DD 3x3 and now an Alpkit Rig 21 tarp, strong, light, and hold well in a variety of ground conditions, and no bending ! :)

I almost cut the cords off when I first got them but glad I didn't, they do make pulling them out very easy and the small weight difference doesn't matter for me as not hiking long distances.

Aye, I may well put cord back on. But will test without first. Never had issues removing pegs in the past.

Julia

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I saw your picture before I ordered. It did make me smile. Is the use of the crab as well not slightly over kill?

Maybe, maybe not, I had some spare so i thought i would have a play :) I could easily do with out them.

I dont think i would use them in the future and do it with a knot or hocked over the peg

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Great spot!! £6.50 is a good price. Did that include delivery Julia?

Yep, £6.50 delivered to the door. My housemate answered first and delivered them to my hand. Excellent service :p

Maybe, maybe not, I had some spare so i thought i would have a play :) I could easily do with out them.

I dont think i would use them in the future and do it with a knot or hocked over the peg

Personally I use lineloks for my guy lines, and just hook the loop that is formed over the peg. Very simple. Let me know if you want some line loks, I may have some spares.

Julia

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I can thoroughly recommend these pegs.
Very light and very strong. I've never snapped one but I did bend one which hit a large tree root as I hammered it in.
I first came across them when I bought my Hex 3 tent around 2006 and have used them ever since. I bought another set of red ones from Alpkit last year as spares.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs

Cheers, Paul

Made me laugh I cut mine off and replaced with shock cord. First time out had a hell of a job getting them out of the ground cutting my finger in the process. I've now got the shock cord tarp side and replaced the pulling loops. You live and learn!

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Good pegs :). I've bent a couple mind, but that's probably more user error than a comment on the construction. I've got some of the Y beam XL's also.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Look to be pretty much identical to the MSR groundhogs, about the same weight as well (14g for the groundhogs), it's been a while but i'm pretty sure i paid a fair but more than that, so that's a good deal.

If you're looking to lose weight the MSR mini groundhogs are pretty good.
Only thing you have to be careful of is the head doesn't bend, you really need to be pounding on them to cause that though.

I usually carry:
4 x groundhogs (14g)
4 x Mini groundhogs (10g)
4 x Ti spikes (6g)

The groundhogs are great in softer ground, but not so great on hardpacked ground.
The Ti spikes are better on hardpack as they seem to go in easier, plus if it's rocky underneath the top soil, i tend to be able to find a small gap between rocks to sink em in.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Correct, They're a MSR Groundhog clone. The Spikes are Easton clones. Much of Alpkit's gear are clones but are of high quality.

I have the Y Beams and use them for my Superfly setup. Great pegs.

racer66

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
london
Also ripped a finger open trying to pull these out, they hold well and can be very sharp, keep the cord is my advice. Plus if it's the only style you have then another one won't hook under easily to remove it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE