Alpkit Hunka XL or Rab Storm Bivi

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Been looking at buying a bivi bag for the last week to give me more options when I'm out and also because I'm trying to lighten my kit so I'm torn between two options.

I'm looking for a roomy bag that's waterproof and breatable but would allow me to me a bit in as I am quite a restless sleeper and would also be able to fit a SIM inside. I've decided on one of the two of these as they are the same price and within my price range, had originally looked at hooped bivis but the are a bit too expensive. Also being able to cover my face would be a good option to have but stiff being able to breathe freely is a must as I don't want to feel claustrophobic. I would also like it to be easy to get in and out of.

Hopfully someone can help me out with this dilema.

Alpkit Hunka XL

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16414&category_id=253

Rab Storm

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rab-Storm-Bivi.html

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The hunka XL is a roomy bag... I'm 6ft 6" lenght wise, but lean all the way through.

Its hard wearing, nice fabric and I've not had a problem with moisture inside the bag, although I've only been using it over winter where sweat is minimium. Its not designed to totally cover your face though, and basically has two draw cords so you can tighten it around your face... I dare say you would get condensation inside if breathing directly into the bag, as you would with most from what I gather, without spending serious £

It will take a full size inflated mat inside, a good size down bag and give you enough room left over to have a comfortable/roomy wriggle, as I do throughout the night.

I hope this was of 'some' help..!

If you want a picture of it with the bag over for size... I can sort one out at home.

The RAB looks like it ticks all the boxes for you though!

al.

Last edited:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've the Hunka (not the XL) and the Rab and I've got to say the Alpkit bag comes out more often than the Rab now, harder wearing, I don't find it gets quite so much condensation. I do fancy the XL though. Rab does pack down smaller if that's of any help.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The SZ from RAb is bigger than the std hunka and about the same length as the XL hunka. The storm is a bigger version of the Rab SZ. As such I'd expect it to be more able to hold a thicker mat inside and not compress the sleeping bag's loft.

I've compared a SZ with a hunka used with a mate and there is not much difference really but the rab fabric had no dampness inside but the hunka did a bit. It was a wet night leading to a warm, dry and sunny morning (got up a few hours after sun up and it was feeling quite warm).

If it was me I'd go for the Rab storm. IIRC it has a tougher waterproof base. The hunka STD/ XL both are like the Rab SZ in that better to use the mat outside of the bivvy since they are 360 degrees breathable around the bag unlike the storm which is breathable sides, foot and upper butwith a non-breathable base IIRC.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have the rab storm bivi Scott and am more than happy with it ,I find it big and roomy and it fits the biggest of sleeping bags

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE