Alpkit Alipots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
First impressions

When the parcel arrived at my door, the first thing that struck me was the size of the package. I opened it up, and inside along with the bubble wrap and a pair of dry bags I ordered at the same time, was a black stuff sack.

I had checked through the measurements on the site before I bought the pots, measuring the largest lid against a rasher of bacon to see that it would fit, but after playing around with solo cooksets recently, I wasn't quite ready for the bulk of these pans.

The stuff sack isn't your normal nylon stuff sack, but the funky 3d mesh like you get on some backpack backs and straps.

Inside the stuff sack is the 2L pot and the lid, inside that, is the 1L pot and lid. Prior to this the last pot I bought was my Titanium evernew 400ml cup, which weighs in at around the 50g mark. So picking up the full set of these pans, the first thing that struck me was the weight. 608.5g according to my scales. Compared to my old MSR Alpine 2 set, at ~730g. That isn't much of a saving, if you need all 4 pans. Personally, I bought these with the intent of carrying just the 1L set, and occasionally the 2L lid if I feel like bacon. For comparison a 14cm zebra billycan is 2.5L and weighs ~730g.

Individually the pots weigh:

2L pot lid - 162.6g
2L pot - 169.1g
1L pot lid - 108.1g
1L pot - 140.1g
Bag - 28.6g

Compared to titanium, they will win no prizes for weight. Compared to other aluminium pots of the same sort of capacity, they are about the same weight. Light, but not "Wow look how light these are" that titanium would be. Just as you expect from Ali pans.

The pots themselves have a Hard Anodised coating. What this means is they have a dull grey colour, won't taint your food, and you don't have to be OCD about using plastic utensils to avoid scratching the coating off. Each pot has a pair of folding wire handles with a heat resistant coating on them. You can remove the handles if you want, and Alpkit make a pot hanger set for using the pans over an open fire, which is a nice touch.

Individually each pan feels very light weight, but not flimsy.

So how do they perform? I filled the 1L pot with water and put it on my cat can stove filled with meths. The pot didn't melt[1], the water boiled, and I didn't burn myself when I picked up the pan by the handle. The handles are not the most comfortable they could be, especially if you fill the pots. The 2L pot could weigh over 2kg once you fill it with water, which is quite a weight to put on a simple wire handle. If I was expecting to use the big pan, say for melting snow, I think I may include a pot lifter in the pouch, just to make it easier to handle.

In hindsight, these pots are not ideal for my use case, I tend to hike solo, and cook for one. I very much doubt I could eat the entire contents of even the smallest pan if I was on my own. As such they do seem a bit over kill as solo pans go. But, I don't regret buying them, the lid of the big pan should make a great frying pan for breakfast for one, and the whole set of pans is still cheaper, than an MSR skillet of about the same size as the lid. If I ever go winter hiking, then these pots should be great for melting snow.

These pots are not made by Alpkit, but are in fact rebranded fire maple pots. Having seen the quality of these, I don't mind buying fire maple pots direct from china on ebay. I'll be investigating some of the smaller fire maple pots to compliment these pans.

Julia

[1] No seriously, I have melted through the bottom of a cheap ali pot in the past when using my MSR stoves...[2]

[2] I also managed to take the copper bottom off a cheap copper bottom set... and the copper bottom from Birchwoods copper bottomed frying pan...[3]

[3] MSR stoves are viscous...

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
Hey Julia,

Thanks for the review!

I work at Alpkit - so a bit biased, but, specifically your last comment about now buying direct from China - How come?

From looking around the price is only slightly cheaper (I mean, the fire maple stoves, some are more expensive?!?) The delivery time is longer, if the product has any problems there's no returns service/spares/someone on the phone or e-mail to help.

Alpkit itself want to bring the best products to you guys at the best price, we design a lot of our own kit and if we can't due to time / funds we will pick the best out there. Same as many other manufacturers, but the added service and usually better price I thought would be part of it? We obviously don't have the full range of pots from FireMaple available so we understand that, but on the items we do have why would you go direct from China - is it just price?

Hopefully I can understand a bit better and make Alpkit better for you to!

Jay

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hey Julia,

Thanks for the review!

I work at Alpkit - so a bit biased, but, specifically your last comment about now buying direct from China - How come?

Hopefully I can understand a bit better and make Alpkit better for you to!

It's purely about range. The fire maple pots that you do are very big. I am looking at the FMC-208 pots, as a set for solo use. If Alpkit did their own version, I would have no hesitation in buying direct from you. But as the smallest pot you do is 1L in ali, the only option is to goto china direct.

It's nothing against alpkit, I would really rather buy from you for all the reasons you outlined, but as you don't sell the product I want, I do have to look at alternatives.

J

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Thanks for the review - Alpkit always do good stuff, but its nice to get an overview of what a particular product is like.

Having seen the quality of these, I don't mind buying fire maple pots direct from china on ebay

There is a one person set that they do : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fire...Picnic-Pot-Pan-Cookware-Sets/32214120613.html

I've got something similar, and it works fine.

However, the strange thing is that when I looked for something like that for this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126832&highlight=alpkit , the daft thing was that the Alpkit set you bought was cheaper than buying much the same thing from China. A very similar set costs about £37 from Aliexpress! http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fire...t-aluminum-frying-pan-cooking/2032187891.html

Nov 16, 2014
Ontario
People forget that there is no such thing as free shipping. Alpkit buys in bulk so gets a better price and ships in by container or skid load so saves on shipping costs as well. I would love to have someplace like that here but unfortunately most of the time I am either buying from US and worry ing about getting hit with customs and duties or buying direct from China.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE