Alpine Huts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Can anyone explain the deal with the Alpine huts? Do you have to book in advance or can you just turn up?
Also I'm off to Slovenia in the summer :) Anyone know of good trek guides? Or can recommend decent treks in the Alp there??

Cheers,
matt P

ed dickson

Feb 7, 2006
herefordshire
don't know how it works over there, but in switzerland booking is usually advised. Obviously if you turn up starved and frozen they won't tell you to naff of but it's best to avoid confusion esp. with language barriers etc.

Rod

On a new journey
Usually you can just turn up. If you are in the BMC there is a reciprocal rights agreement with the French Alpine club - lets you stay at a better rate. The BMC may be able to offer you some better advice - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The main thing is to set off early in the morning and don't arrive at the hut after 4pm in the afternoon. If people are staying its often a 1st come 1st served basis. I have had mate who have bivied on the entrance decks to some huts in the alps, as he was always arriving late. So a bivi bag/sleeping bag/mat are useful.

Keep an eye on your gear wherever you are. A small padlock is useful - as some of the bigger huts have lockable lockers for your gear. Knowing a few phrases in the local language is always a good way of getting the hut guardian on your side. :D

If you are planning to buy your meals in the hut - the choices are normally take it or leave it. :yuck: They don't often make concessions for veggies either.

Hope this helps

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
In my experience walking the Hochschwab in Austria, book and get there by 4.00 and make sure you get a little ticket with a number (like at the deli counter) to get your place in the queue and be prepared to be confused by the ettiquette.

In this region, cooking your own food within sight or smell of the hut was a big no no - the alpine clubs / hut owners rely on selling the food they haul up the hill to keep the huts running. Most Austrians out for a few days had no more than a 45 L sac - no cooking gear or sleeping bag (just a sheet liner needed) kept the weight down and left room for plenty of water.

We had a great time!
Flux

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
It can also help to become a member of the alpine association of that specific country. They often work together, and some associations have even cabins in foreign countries. I am a member of the KNBV here in The Netherlands. They coorporate with the OAV in Austria and the German DAV and this means that I always have access to some form of accommodation and a discount for staying is in place.

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE