Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
it started in oct last year, it's all done and dusted and someone won the money but all are sworn to secrecy

There are plenty of small mammals/birds around which can be caught. Don't know whether these are also found on Vancouver.

When I was little older people used to watch where some of the small mice/ground squirrels took their seeds//nuts/food to store food ) in their holes. Come back at end of day and take this food for us to eat. Nice snack and no effort other than watch, wait and remember. I once suggested crushing them in their small tunnels and eating the mice too, but my grandmother suggested leaving the mouse to live and get more food for us to eat again.

In spring we;'d gather birds eggs from where we were. On the edge of the tundra you'd often get geese and we'd take eggs and to keep them fresh we'd put the eggs in basket deep into river where the water is very cold. Eggs like this will last for long time. Geese are also easier to catch when they moult as they can't fly well.

We used to make tiny snares from thread, sometimes made from sinew to trap small mammals and birds. It took great practice to be able to set the trigger on a snare small enough to catch a mouse or small bird. We've also made s sticky paste from a seeds (don't know english name) and also from birch or pine resin to trap both birds and mice.

The problem if you are in tall forest may be shooting small birds. Not much food on forest floor for them so they live high up in trees.

There are lots of ways we used to catch food when I was younger including chasing bears away when they catch salmon.

I think it rains a lot all the year around in Vancouver. I think they need lots of clothes to keep them dry in heavy rain.

Reactions: Ettrick reiver

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats all very interesting Joe. Do the children today, practice similiar stuff, or do they all have Xboxes and never go out?

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Sounds interesting will have to watch later.

First thought on the items is

Massive tarp, soo big that you'll have no qualms about cutting it up to make many things. Sleeping shelter, shelter for fire and wood, make a stretcher type bed out of it, poncho, rain collection, etc etc.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Sounds interesting will have to watch later.

First thought on the items is

Massive tarp, soo big that you'll have no qualms about cutting it up to make many things. Sleeping shelter, shelter for fire and wood, make a stretcher type bed out of it, poncho, rain collection, etc etc.

I had assumed that it was a 12'x12' tarp which would be 3.5x3.5m

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I had assumed that it was a 12'x12' tarp which would be 3.5x3.5m

Yeah, just watched the first episode and looked at their equipment lists online.

Seems the ones that opted for a tarp all have 12'x12' max. And IIRC only one person has two tarps.
If limited to 10 items going even bigger seems a better strategy?

Tinder seems a worthy item with hindsight.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
That's something I hadn't thought of, a decent catapult might be a very good item to take.

Edited to add:- Just reading the looooong thread over on the US forum and one of them said "We had to choose 10 items off a list of 40" so not a free choice.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Steve, you and Samon both fear the badgers lair! :D
A fully armed soldier mate of mine once ran away when a badger turned and growled at him on exercise, they can be pretty scary when roused.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Steve, you and Samon both fear the badgers lair! :D
A fully armed soldier mate of mine once ran away when a badger turned and growled at him on exercise, they can be pretty scary when roused.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.
I had only ever seen them at the side of the road as road kill. It's not until you basically walk right into one (in long grass on a fishing trip) that you get the scale of the beasts...Looked like it could take me if it chose anyway. quite a muscular looking thing.... I froze, Made poo Poo, then backed the hell away from it quick sharp.

At 10 feet it never even looked my way it just kept on walking like i was no threat.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That's something I hadn't thought of, a decent catapult might be a very good item to take.

Edited to add:- Just reading the looooong thread over on the US forum and one of them said "We had to choose 10 items off a list of 40" so not a free choice.

Ah did wonder why the equipment lists looked similar. Though they looked to have different knives, and saws.

Would've been nice if they listed the 40 on the history.com website.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
This video will not download properly for me, OP's original link has resulted in failed downloads and one download that is full size stops after 9 minutes, not OP's fault, I know.

GGGTBod's torrent link is not taking registrations, and flags messages to the effect that it has been been banned, depends what google link you follow.

Anyone have any other suggestions for download, I'm disappointed that the History channel link keeps stating that this programme is not available right now.

Is it viewable on Skye as a repeat ?

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Forget the badgers. This was Vancouver Island. Canada. One backhand swat from a grizz or a black bear and badgers are mush.

Here's how you can die on a simple walk in an alpine meadow. Some are so large and grassy, the government lets grazing leases for cattle, OK?

You are waltzing along on a sunny afternoon, the alpine shrubbery seems no more than waist deep. Alpine by definition = no trees.
a) what you don't see is a fairly well disguised and partially buried kill = deer, maybe caribou. You just stumble across it, there are no big red flags.
Evidence suggests that the bear is less than 100m away from the site, the expectation is to feed on the kill for several days.
All of a sudden, you have 500kg+ bear steaming towards you at 30mph or so. You will die. Bear spray is no more than hot sauce
(were you stupid enough to bury the bear spray in your pack?)
b) same place, same time, same sunny day. Unbeknownst to you, you have accidentally walked in between the sow and her cubs.
You die.

Bad recent scenario: Guy and his GF go camping. They have a big camper in the back of his truck. The boy gets really drunk at the campfire,
passes out to sleep by the fire. The GF retreats into the cozy bed in the camper and conks out.
In the night, bear comes along, kills the guy by the fire and eats some of him.
NOT A FREAKIN' SOUND. GF finds his remains in the morning.

Have a nice night in your hammock and tarp.

Me? Us? We do all kinds of day trips up into the high country from the village.
Nighttime, we eat, drink and sleep in my house.

Just as a note added in edit, my bearspray is a 3.5" x 12 ga Benelli Nova with 5 loads of BB or TTT.
My preference is for my o/u Baikal 3" x 12ga with SSG.
"Two in the body,
One in the head,
guarantees they're really dead."

Last edited:

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
For those of us in the UK that have Sky, it will be on the History Channel at 2200 starting on Weds 24 Jun.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Finally, I have been able to watch this thanks to Dave's new link (and a very helpful PM), much big cheers to you mate, thanks.

Really enjoyed it, cannot wait for next episode.

rory

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE