Alone in the woods with uncle Ben and Mr Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bryndlefly

Nov 7, 2013
essex
I set out to the forest this afternoon to scratch the itch for the outdoors and get some final testing and skills practice in before my first overnighter in 8 years (next week.)
It was a beautiful afternoon, there was barely a cloud in the sky and the temperature was a steady 10-11*C.
I found a great new spot on some high ground right next to a small flowing stream under some pine trees, and set my Tarp up in the usual fashion.
DSC_0040_zpse69758b9.jpg

DSC_0054_zps0b2813c0.jpg

DSC_0041_zpsd5e4ef0b.jpg

This method uses two walking poles to support the ridge of the Tarp which are usually stuck into the ground. However this means placing a ground sheet is tricky. So to overcome it I found a fallen branch, cut and split it and then carved a hole in each piece to locate the poles. Now I can place a ground sheet under the poles without any risk of puncturing it and the pole is still sturdy enough to put pressure on the Tarp.
DSC_0042_zpsa90aa382.jpg

I then knocked up a very quick stand to hold my hydration bladder up.
DSC_0055_zps78330f04.jpg

DSC_0043_zps70dba152.jpg

DSC_0044_zps467fd371.jpg

Quick peek inside
DSC_0053_zps2915d6ae.jpg

By this time I was getting a bit peckish so I knocked up some rice courtesy of good old uncle Ben.
DSC_0046_zpsc99f94fa.jpg

I don't normally like that kind of thing because it requires using water to cook it, however the uncle Ben one only needs a few ml so I gave it a try.
DSC_0048_zps017377f9.jpg

Then sat down to dinner with Mr Mears ;)
DSC_0049_zps019b46a4.jpg

After cleaning up I turned my attention toward a fire. I had collected some cramp balls on a previous trip which I wanted to try out. I had mixed results with these, eventually got it going though. Only very small so as to remain inconspicuous but enough to warm my extremities and practice some skills.
DSC_0050_zps8467bd83.jpg

DSC_0051_zps83a33033.jpg

Fire extinguished and scattered. Litter collected and camp packed up I headed off just as dark was falling. Today was a good day.

Bryn.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one always good to try kit out and have a shake down in the woods.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Suffolk Meet on Thursday :)

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Nice write up, enjoyed the read. Well set up too if you haven't been out for that long.

I have the same groundsheet as you, I see you decided to go cammo side down ;)

Good luck with your overnighter. I've just returned from my second one ever! It's a steep but enjoyable learning curve.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I set out to the forest this afternoon to scratch the itch for the outdoors and get some final testing and skills practice in before my first overnighter in 8 years (next week.)
It was a beautiful afternoon, there was barely a cloud in the sky and the temperature was a steady 10-11*C.
I found a great new spot on some high ground right next to a small flowing stream under some pine trees, and set my Tarp up in the usual fashion.
DSC_0040_zpse69758b9.jpg

DSC_0054_zps0b2813c0.jpg

DSC_0041_zpsd5e4ef0b.jpg

This method uses two walking poles to support the ridge of the Tarp which are usually stuck into the ground. However this means placing a ground sheet is tricky. So to overcome it I found a fallen branch, cut and split it and then carved a hole in each piece to locate the poles. Now I can place a ground sheet under the poles without any risk of puncturing it and the pole is still sturdy enough to put pressure on the Tarp.
DSC_0042_zpsa90aa382.jpg

I then knocked up a very quick stand to hold my hydration bladder up.
DSC_0055_zps78330f04.jpg

DSC_0043_zps70dba152.jpg

DSC_0044_zps467fd371.jpg

Quick peek inside
DSC_0053_zps2915d6ae.jpg

By this time I was getting a bit peckish so I knocked up some rice courtesy of good old uncle Ben.
DSC_0046_zpsc99f94fa.jpg

I don't normally like that kind of thing because it requires using water to cook it, however the uncle Ben one only needs a few ml so I gave it a try.
DSC_0048_zps017377f9.jpg

Then sat down to dinner with Mr Mears ;)
DSC_0049_zps019b46a4.jpg

After cleaning up I turned my attention toward a fire. I had collected some cramp balls on a previous trip which I wanted to try out. I had mixed results with these, eventually got it going though. Only very small so as to remain inconspicuous but enough to warm my extremities and practice some skills.
DSC_0050_zps8467bd83.jpg

DSC_0051_zps83a33033.jpg

Fire extinguished and scattered. Litter collected and camp packed up I headed off just as dark was falling. Today was a good day.

Bryn.

Nice one Bryn, I nearly went out yesterday for a night but went geocaching around wakes Colne today instead, be good to see you at the weekend. Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE