All invaders must be eaten

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I've never seen any, let alone caught any. I was watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall last night, and i'm sure he pulled em out of the Kennet and Avon canal, using a chicken carcass. He's also caught them in his river at river cottage, and stoed them up untill he had enough for a meal.
I think they are getting pretty widespread now.Best give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Rich

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
The American Signal Crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus) is really common in UK rivers, and is rapidly wiping out our native species of Crayfish - the White Clawed Crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes).

Signal Crayfish were mainly introduced into the UK in the 70's for the restaurant trade, with farmers commonly suplimenting their income by using watercourses through their land to breed signal crayfish. Over time, large numbers escaped from their fish farm enclosures and began to colonise local watercourses, infecting and dominating our native white-clawed crayfish. Recent surveys have identified substantial populations of white-clawed crayfish in northern and central England but, elsewhere, their numbers have declined enormously. Many of the remaining populations are in a precarious position due to their close proximity to signal crayfish populations.

The native crayfish (and all European species) are very susceptible to crayfish plague, caused by the fungus Apphanomyces astaci. Alien crayfish are much less vulnerable unless under stress but do act as carriers for the disease.

In a 500m stretch of the River Hamps in Staffordshire there were 1600 crayfish caught during a population survey and mass cull - plenty enough for a few good meals :lol: This represented 45% of the total population in that 500m stretch. At present the only reliable way to reduce Signal crayfish populations is to carry out regular mass culls.

Apparently fishing for crayfish is legal but the most common methods of fyke nets and traps are illegal unless specifically authorised by local byelaws. Also it is an offence to use crayfish - dead or alive - as bait for fishing.

I'll try and find a link to a guide I've seen on identifying freshwater crayfish so no-one ends of eating any of our precious native species!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Den wrote:
Has anybody made traps for crayfish using hazel,willow or whatever?

Stuart wrote:
I would also be very intrested in hearing from anyone who has

No I havn't, but it shouldn't be that hard, especialy with a weekend hurdle making under your belt stuart.... all those withies.... A simple construction like the one on the left here
http://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsDetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=2011
but made of hazel or willow should be o problem at all.

Apply those skills

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE