All Bushcrafters Beware!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Please all beware of any hunting or trapping that you do !!!

You may be arrested and brought up on animal cruelty. Animal welfare won their case against Channel 4 after the rat incident on “Celebrity get me out of here”.

So all are warned they could be out there watching you skinning rabbits or plucking pigeons.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Well i support animal rights but i dont see any problems when the game is killed fast and humane,to be eaten.But killing for sake of it,painfully,slowly,is plain sick and sadistic.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The diabolical tv dross you refer to was on ITV, But point taken, although i dont think the average uk bushcrafter eat's spider's or teste's or gets into a box full of rat's.
hunting with permisson on private land should'nt get you in any hot water.

Dec 26, 2009
south wales
I do a lot of hunting with a air gun for rabbits and plan to get some ferrets , you cant get arrested for hunting with these methods yet,but its only a matter of time before they try and get all hunting banned then they'l turn to fishing wich i also do, even tho all the animals i catch are killed kwickly and humanely,a lot of these protesters just see cute furry things and dont understand that populations need to be controled, but most of them have never spent any real time in the contryside and probobly never wil, perhaps we should start hunting animal rights protesters.:D:BlueTeamE

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
Rant on
Unfortunately in this country we seem to suffer from metropolitanism. Metropolitan dwellers with metropolitan values passing laws which appeal to the metropolitan minds which see anything beyond suburbia as a quaint but essentially alien environment best controlled so they can spend 'quality down time' there to 'recharge their batteries'

Rant off

Apologies to all city dwelling bushcrafters. I don't include you.

For some years I lived in a small village in the High Peak and there was a serious move by some off-comers to prevent the movement of cattle through the village early in the morning and to get cockerels stopped from crowing in the morning.
This was back in the seventies and was still born.

These days such views might just get a hearing.

avalon

May 31, 2007
South Australia
For some years I lived in a small village in the High Peak and there was a serious move by some off-comers to prevent the movement of cattle through the village early in the morning and to get cockerels stopped from crowing in the morning.
This was back in the seventies and was still born.

These days such views might just get a hearing.

Slightly off subject, but I live in a bushfire prone area and recently heard of one person bulldozing the land around his home to remove all vegetation and another trying to have trees removed because of the fire danger.

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
From what I've read it was a tame pet rat. It had no fear of humans they didn't kill it quickly and it was all done for entertainment.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Slightly off subject, but I live in a bushfire prone area and recently heard of one person bulldozing the land around his home to remove all vegetation and another trying to have trees removed because of the fire danger.

is this not already a common thing? Im sure i have seen aerial photographs of outback towns with huge firebreaks around them.

Back on topic.

Yes the fine does seem silly BUT it was said it took 90 seconds for the rat to die!!!!! that is wrong on two levels 1- Undue suffering 2- What a pair of metrosexual nancy boys so inept in basic skills that they cant defeat a small rodent.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Please all beware of any hunting or trapping that you do !!!

You may be arrested and brought up on animal cruelty. Animal welfare won their case against Channel 4 after the rat incident on “Celebrity get me out of here”.

So all are warned they could be out there watching you skinning rabbits or plucking pigeons.

I don't think anyone in this country has anything to fear if they stick within the confines of the law. This was brought to court by the Australian RSPCA and in their own words:-

.......Chief Inspector David Oshannessy, from the RSPCA, said ITV was fined A$3,000 (£1,903) and will pay A$2,576 in costs.

He said: "It's a reasonable result. It reflects the fact that all animals are protected by the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.

"The animal was killed for a TV show, that's not appropriate. The raw footage indicates that, from the first attempt, it took about 90 seconds before it actually died.

"The legislation says that an animal can be killed for human consumption provided it does not cause unnecessary suffering. Had it been killed and it was over and done with, we might not be having this conversation."

ITV said it would make sure that nothing similar happened in future series, and would take advice from the RSPCA on the necessary training involved.

A spokesman said: "ITV has apologised for the mistake which led to this incident.

"The production was unaware that killing a rat could be an offence, criminal or otherwise in New South Wales, and accepts that further inquiries should have been made.

"This was an oversight and we have since thoroughly reviewed our procedures and are putting in place a comprehensive training programme to ensure that this does not happen in future series."

:D

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
So am I right in thinking the issue here is that the rat took 90 seconds to die and therfore considered cruelty. I do believe in humane dispatching of food and pest control whenever possible.

I am curious though, how long does rat poison take to kill a rat and is there any suffering involved? and if so is poisoning vermine against the law in Australia?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
From what I have heard, the Aussies are against anything that resembles a placenal mammal...

...this includes humans

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I saw what was screened on ITV, and in my opinion the rat was not killed for "entertainment purposes" as it was killed, prepared, then eaten. The participants of the show were hungry, a fully qualified chef (albeit not a pest control officer, or expert trapper) did the "deed".

Fair enough, it took 90 seconds for the rat to die, but it was eaten, hence not killed for entertainment purposes only.

We have all seen Bear Grylls and Hugh F Wit what's his name (River Cottage) do similar things on TV. Why is there a big deal being made of this?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
35 years of hunting with a rifle in the the UK has taught me many lessons but one that remains uppermost in my mind, and even with the legitimacy of purpose afforded by Wildlife Conservation Officer status, is "what the eye doesn't see the ..............".

There was a time not that many years ago when you could follow any number of open-backed Forestry Commission Scotland vehicles on there way to a larder with heaped red dear carcases in the back and blood dripping from the side panels. You won't see this any more and guess why?

Cheers

Cheers

Some may well say that the torture of dumb animals for the entertainment of others is sick...............

Some may say that getting lowly rodents to perform like they are in some kind of freakshow is wrong.............

But how else are these poor creatures supposed to revive their carreers?

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I have not seen the show and don't want to. But I do get 'angry' when people who don't know what goes on, start to tell those that DO what they can and cannot do.
My grand dad had a piggery and slaughter house (many many moons ago) I can just remember it. I remember going around it and the smell was bad!
But it never put me off meat. No the thing was that the animals were dispatched quickly and as humainly as pos.

When HFW took some people around a slaughter house nearlly every one couldn't stomach it.
MY view is that if you want to eat meat understand and accept where it has come from and how it is killed.
If you can't do that then don't eat meat.
My two daughters were made aware of what that lamb chop and sliced chicken was and where it came from early on.
To me it is respect to the animal.
Bushcrafting is about trying to live in harmony with nature.
Alan

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I have farmers in the family and a common rat poison is warfarin an anticoagulant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin
warfarin is also prescribed to humans with dangerous blood clots, or if immobilized after an operation.
If you've had an operation recently you may have had a small injection of Heparin which does the same thing.

Basically if the rat had an injury (even a very minor cut), it would bleed to death because it's blood would not clot.
Though the rat would have a serious blood condition, technically, the rat could happily live for ages not suffering at all...until it gets an injury!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE