Algnquin Adventure

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
So this years family holiday centred around my love of paddling (and not with my trousers rolled up on a litter strewn beach). Base was Eagle lake, and the Haliburton forest in Ontario.
Not as popular as the national park, but less busy.

And not just my love of paddling
DSCF2416.jpg

Voyageur :D
DSCF2408.jpg

Skimmin'
DSCF2400.jpg

Of course I had to do the hard work...Portaging...
DSCF2842.jpg

Stovie jr hits the rapids
DSCF2843.jpg

But it's not all hard work
DSCF2846.jpg

Beaver country
DSCF2851.jpg

Going it alone
DSCF2854.jpg

Brown Bear
DSCF2365.jpg

Grey Wolf
DSCF2313.jpg

17ft Kevlar Algonquin
DSCF2438.jpg

Canadian canoe Museum at Peterborough...1 of 100 pics taken...
DSCF2732.jpg

And one rapid I stayed clear of...
DSCF2515.jpg

Boy...am I close to emigrating...

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
now thats what i call a holiday. much better than trawling the puke ridden bars of ibiza/majorca etc bumping into other lobster tanned brits on the lash!

the photos remind me of the 90's tv show 'due south' especially the second one:) and how did you get so close to that wolf? dont tell me they are hiring them out with the canoes as well lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Brilliant Stovie, thanks for sharing fella.

Only done the Rockies myself but it was enough to make us want to emigrate aswell.

One day ....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Thanks folks. Only scratched the surface of the hidden depths of this vast country. Next year the rockies for thre weeks, and then who knows...

The wolf shot was taken throu the use of an observation post in Haliburton Forest. A place well worth visiting.

The black bear is one of 20+ regulars at the local refuse dump...a surreal experience.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The route we took through the Rockies was superb Stovie

We flew into Vancouver, had three days there, then got a coach to Vancouver Island for a couple of days then back to Vancouver to pick up the car.
Then it was Whistler, Lac le Juene, Jasper, Banff, Cranbrook, Nelson, Kelowna and back to Vancouver.

The tail end of the trip was a bit more civilised and big farming country so maybe if I was to do it again I'd spend more time at the first locations. Whistler down to Banff was stunning and we've got about 1000 pics to prove it :D

Have a good one

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Shewie, planning to hit the same area. Already have a base in mind, complete with roaming Buffalo, whitewater and plenty of hiking...

That looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing these pictures. We only spent a few days exploring the edges of Algonquin - before heading over to Kilarney Park in Ontario.

We too, wish to visit the Rockies on our next trip to Canada. At the moment I work a summer seasonal job and can't take time off during June - August, which I'd imagine is the best time, but are thinking we may go hiking there in September next year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE