Alder!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just got my hands on some green Alder.... boy does it carve nicely!
What were the traditional uses for Alder - other than clog soles?
If you are good boys and girls I will bring a bit of the green Alder to the GYM meet - I will not be able to carve it all myself before it seasons hard!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
thats what I heard, that alder is good in damp or boggy conditions for pilings/breakwater's on beaches etc It grows only near wet meadows besides stream's. Until recently I never rated it (not a "proper" woodwork wood such as oak ash or beech :rolleyes: ) Its like a stronger form of balsa wood. Its a strange property of alder wood that it sems to be more weather resistant if its soaking wet, opposite of most other's, eg ash disappears in no time if it's soaked. The logs I got were about 6 or 7 inche's diameter were yours wider than that john? Some of it is clean and straight but some is wavy and wild. Still easier than dry beech or ash though :lmao: Mine had been stood for some while and had dried out a bit (not sopping wet) but still extrememly soft

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My logs are about 4 - 6" diam
So far I have carved the rough of on spoon and stuffed up another....
I will be keeping some to see how it carves dry and , yes Greg I will keep a bit back for you!
Thanks for all the info folks - it is all interesting!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The piles for some of the Crannogs were made from Alder too. The modern one on Loch Tay was built using alder poles.

Alder covers tools in a blood coloured juice when it is cut; it's one of the old magical woods because of this property. I'm told that in other areas the juice is more orange than red :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE