Alder catkins. Edible?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

demented dale

Full Member
Dec 16, 2021
2,180
1,243
60
hell
I am trying to find out the edibility of Alder catkins. The American Red Alder can be foraged but I am not finding much on the UK version. Has anyone tried them? processed them or are they not of use?
 
Not edible, more info here.

Thanks and I also came across that site for the first time earlier today. It looks very good but I have yet to peruse properly. x
 
I've used thin branches as a "toothbrush". As suggested on a course some years ago.
Chewed up and then using the fibres as the brush.
It didn't really taste of anything other than green stick, and I'm still here.
I didn't use toothpaste you'll not be surprised to learn.
But, it was an interesting experiment. In a pinch I can see it would be better than nothing.
I think toothbrushes were invented for a reason.
 
I've used thin branches as a "toothbrush". As suggested on a course some years ago.
Chewed up and then using the fibres as the brush.
It didn't really taste of anything other than green stick, and I'm still here.
I didn't use toothpaste you'll not be surprised to learn.
But, it was an interesting experiment. In a pinch I can see it would be better than nothing.
I think toothbrushes were invented for a reason.
Licorice root works ok for teeth, tastes a bit nicer. Needs must I suppose.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE