Alberta

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

jimfs1

Long time no post,
(not that I posted much anyway)
Well we have finally emigrated to Alberta, and I've already booked myself on a knife making course in the town of Lacombe.
The course is run by Ed storch of http://www.storchknives.com/.
I want to make a Bushcraft knive.
I shall post the results when its made.
jim

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Soooooooo jealous! Good luck with the course. I'm doing a blacksmithing course at the moment and I'm sure you'll love it!

Let us know how you get on.

P

J

jimfs1

We are really enjoying it, we are lucky as SHMBO got a transfer with the company she works for, but that is the tip of the iceberg, we still had to have things is palce and an immigration lawyer was involved, and it will all be in the book :D .
We've only been here a few months and it can get a bit chilly -25-35 (thank god for snugpaks), but the next day can be warm, we've had highs of +8 and we have lot's of blue sky.
Not done any outdoor stuff yet as we have just bought a house and sorting out EVERYTHING you need.
It will be nice to do the knife course, can't wait.
Oh well back to sorting out more stuff.
Jim

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
So, where did you end up living? Lacombe isn't far from where I'm at.

I'm a native (in the sense that I was born and raised here) Albertan. You have to get out west, into the mountains and forests in the spring and summer. You won't be disappointed. :)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Sounds great and I hope you all get settled soon. Me thinks we are going to need pictures, when you get a chance, so we can be truly jealous.

P

J

jimfs1

Good morning..
Well it is here!
Hi Voivode, we are currently living in Red Deer park, but we move to Lacombe on 28 Feb, oh the bliss on having your own house, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, in 3/4 of an acre of land,(sorry folks at home, but that's how it can be :D :D )
this is how crazy this place is (to me anyway).
SHMBO gave my CV to one of the HR bods as he was interested in what I did in the UK. I was phoned last week and asked to have alook round the railyard as if I liked what I saw I could have a job, well I start on Monday 5th Feb, and the best thing is... I have to learn to drive a train, how cool is that :lmao: .
I was a lab monkey in the UK, so I'm more than quallified to do it?????
I know the real reason I was taken on, but can't say......
I'll have to use a radio, so I want the call sign "Ivor", if poss.
Hope all is well in the good old UK of A.
See ya later.
Jim (Ivor)

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Good for you! We bought a house in Eastview just this fall; The plot isn't quite as big (1/4 acre), but the price was right and it's better than Calgary. It's also closer to my parents cattle ranch, which encompasses about 1900 acres in the boreal forest. It's largely pasture and field, but there are some nice forested bits on their land and plenty of wildlife. They have a deer problem; there are runs all over their lawn and they scatter like mice when you turn a light on at night. The best part is that the "real" forest is only about 20 minutes from them.

The job prospects here are very good right now, as you've discovered. We have an insatiable thirst for labour right now.

It's funny you say there have been "lots of blue skies"; this winter has been one of the most overcast and dreariest in a long time. November was particularly wicked. :D

Anyways, if you ever want to get out to the mountains, pm me and we'll see what we can do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE