Alberta. CA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
Does anybody on here live in or near Alberta, Cananda?
Has anyone visited it recently? Maybe for a stint of bushcraft?

I am planning a trip but want information. Mostly relating to weather and bugs.

I have to decide what time of year to go. My thinking is that going during winter would involve too much extra kit to carry. Going in summer would probably mean being eaten by insects. Can anyone verify this?

Any info anyone can provide will be a great help. Thanks

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I'm from Alberta and you're right winter is cold and summer has bugs. You know what though? I've survived both and so have everyone else. So if you go in the winter plan for cold, maybe buy a tobbogan to haul your gear and you can take more weight, in the summer you can use a headnet and somegloves to keep the bugs off of you. I suppose mid November would be the best of both worlds, cold enough to kill the bugs and hopefully not too cold yet. You could also do some hunting in November if you could find a hunter host to take you around.

have a fun trip!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was there in October several years ago for a military excersize near Cold Lake. It was nice weather wise (and otherwise) Cold at night yes but not unberarably so and no bugs that I remember. The locals were still canoeing in October. Even got to see an arora.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Come anytime of year, you will always find something interesting do, see or visit. It just depends on what your priorities are for your experience. For warm weather adventures, anytime from May --> October can be very pleasant, but it is not uncommon to have lows of 3-5C on any given evening outside of the mountainous regions. If you plan for trips in August onwards, you typically can count on fewer bugs, particularly after the 1st of September by which time we have typically had at least one frost. The bugs are typically manageable, even on the worst days with clothing and headnets, or good camp selection. Our worst bugs are found in the forested/boreal regions. Essentially, don't let the bugs stop you, just choose your activities wisely, or deal with them. There is nothing like going to sleep with the mosquitoes sounding like hail against your tent.

If paddling is your goal, count on ice on the lakes from 1 November --> 1 May in nearly all regions. Even on hot summer days some (not all) of our streams/rivers are still running at 4-7C. Once you get onto the bigger rivers, water temperatures warm up quite noticeably.

If getting into the high country without skis or snowshoes is in your plan, plan on snow above 2000m until July in some areas. Although some ridges are clear by the first of May to be rain-shadow effects and wind. With a little local information you will be able to find almost anything you desire during the summer.

Give us a little better idea of thing activities that you are interested in pursueing and all the Canadians will likely chime in with ideas and input. Heck, we might even want to meet up with you somewhere for a hike, paddle or meal in the bush.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE