Alaskan Bush Pilot Survival Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
alaska flight survival kit.jpg

At first glance it all looks good,...
  • High Vis Inflatable Vest
  • Personal Locator Beacon
  • Garmin inreach mini (text messaging via satellite, GPS)
  • Laser 'flare' pointer
  • Emergency rations
  • Waterproof flashlight
  • Ferro rod, Matches, tinder
  • Axe
  • ... oh dear god

Attachments

• 80ties flasbck.jpg
    80ties flasbck.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 39

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Any knife is good knife if needed right..... ask John Jay. He cuts trees down with his!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Uh, the article that photo used was written in 2018.

Someone has to be having a laugh, had one of those knives near on 35 years ago.

Edit: Oh dear, the company website http://eaglesafety.info/index.php/
And if you scroll down to build your own kit, guess what pops up in the tools section for $11.99. Amazed someone still making them.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I had an axe when I was a kid that looked exactly like the one in the picture as well. It has a nail claw on the side but if you tried to remove a tough nail the handle bent - absolutely useless :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Found an old American advert for them, Malin M-15.
Used to see them at boot-sales on occasion but it was always the ones with plastic handles

love the fact the guy is desperatly trying to keep the 'tree' from breaking in two before he's used the saw :D

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The axe looks like the one Wilkinson’s use to sell for about a fiver, not sure I’d want that or the knife as part of my survival kit

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I love the idea that you get to keep the sheath, even if you return the knife. That's crafty marketing!
Hmm, we had an expression in the Navy for this "Ditch your own sh*t Lofty" ;-). The quality that $10 could buy you back then, you'd love to know how much they produced them for.

Getting back on track re the survival kit and looking at the documentation of the requirements I hadn't realised they were that stringent. I know Alaska is a long way from anywhere but didn't think the US would be that dictatorial. I guess as with all things it depends on the individual what he actually includes and his attention to it's limitations.

Reactions: Bishop

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hmm, we had an expression in the Navy for this "Ditch your own sh*t Lofty" ;-). The quality that $10 could buy you back then, you'd love to know how much they produced them for.

Getting back on track re the survival kit and looking at the documentation of the requirements I hadn't realised they were that stringent. I know Alaska is a long way from anywhere but didn't think the US would be that dictatorial. I guess as with all things it depends on the individual what he actually includes and his attention to it's limitations.

Maybe they've read the book/seen the film 'Walk Well my Brother/Snow Walker' :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE