Alaska for a year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Lots of black bears - don't fancy his dog's chances!

Having said that, he's ex-military, well-armed, will no doubt be well-supplied, and is a relative local, living in Anchorage - not like Alaska is new to him. Near the beach, so plenty of shellfish and fishing, apparently lots of game on the island too. If things get desperate, he can always eat his dog............

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
At least he's trying it somewhere sensible. I'm not sure I understand the need to cut yourself from news, riends and family artiicially - but hey its his dream and if thats what he wants to do, fair play.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
He's a film maker with sat communication, not exactly cut off from the world or going there in a loin cloth with flint and steel, " the island is dotted with occasional seasonal cabins and not much else. "

Not a comfortable life for a year or so but he'll be fine I'm sure. He will make a few bucks from the video. I'll be living on an island off the coast of Africa next year, I'm sure life will be hard on Gran Canaria lol

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
He's a film maker with sat communication, not exactly cut off from the world or going there in a loin cloth with flint and steel, " the island is dotted with occasional seasonal cabins and not much else. "

Not a comfortable life for a year or so but he'll be fine I'm sure. He will make a few bucks from the video. I'll be living on an island off the coast of Africa next year, I'm sure life will be hard on Gran Canaria lol

No drinkable running water there mate all full of minerals that make you poo , I recon you will have to stick to gin an tonic

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
A good experience for him, he's obviously well prepped etc and he knows what Alaska's like, I think it would be a different kettle of fish If I announced I was going there for a year with my trusty knife and 2 season sleeping bag, I'd not forget the mozzie repellant though :D

Good for him, I hope he comes out of it with loads of new knowledge and shares it with us all...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hope it works out for him but I'm not so sure he is as well perpped as he thinks. He intends to rely on solar and wind generated power? How well will that work in the weather extremes the article discussed?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I hope it works out for him but I'm not so sure he is as well perpped as he thinks. He intends to rely on solar and wind generated power? How well will that work in the weather extremes the article discussed?

Plenty of wind in Alaska! And decent equipment will survive hurricanes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plenty of wind in Alaska! And decent equipment will survive hurricanes.

Yes but will they work when the snow is deeper than the wind tower is high? Don't know that that will be the case; just that I don't know that it won't be. In any case I woild anticipate equipment failure due to breakage or what have you to be a given whenever one is isolated. Having said that, Admiral Byrd must have gotten power somewhere during his Antarctic expedition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE